In need of a little information regarding my current claim of ESA (Old Style) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

In need of a little information regarding my current claim of ESA (Old Style)

Options
coldupnorth
coldupnorth Community member Posts: 26 Connected
I'll keep it as brief as possible.

I left my last job in 2014 on physical and mental grounds. I went through the ESA process, the dreaded ATOS Medical, eventually I was awarded IB ESA and placed in the Support Group.

I've had absolutely zero contact since then. I've not been called for reassessment or had any other correspondence. My money has gone in without fail every two weeks and has steadily increased over the years with it currently at £135.35 weekly, which may include some extra, for what I'm not sure. 

I still dread something coming through the post which you think may get easier over the years but quite the opposite, surely it must be coming.

My condition hasn't changed over the years, on my worst day I'm probably worse than I was back in 2014 but the bad spells are less frequent now, although definitely still there and I'm still receiving medications and treatments, as I have over the years. I'm currently in a bad place following the loss of a parent.

I had no idea until a few weeks ago that I could claim anything else alongside ESA so I never looked in to it. I have put a claim in for PIP and I'm awaiting a reply (I'm aware of the backlogs).

So my final questions would be:

Is me making a PIP claim going to flag something with my ESA claim and mess up what I do currently receive? 
Has anybody themselves or know of anybody who has not been called for an assessment in 8 years?
Am I any more/less likely to get PIP as I'm in receipt of ESA for the same conditions I've applied for PIP for?

Hope I've been clear and I appreciate and input.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Is me making a PIP claim going to flag something with my ESA claim and mess up what I do currently receive? 
    Am I any more/less likely to get PIP as I'm in receipt of ESA for the same conditions I've applied for PIP for?

Hope I've been clear and I appreciate and input.
    Claiming PIP will not flag up your ESA claim.

ESA and PIP are assessed differently, the fact you get ESA makes no difference to the PIP claim.

If you get an award of Daily Living part of PIP and you live alone and provided nobody then receives Carers Allowance or the cater element of UC for looking after you then you should inform ESA and will be able to receive an extra ESA amount known as a Severe Disability Premium (SDP).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • coldupnorth
    Options
    If you get an award of Daily Living part of PIP and you live alone and provided nobody then receives Carers Allowance or the cater element of UC for looking after you then you should inform ESA and will be able to receive an extra ESA amount known as a Severe Disability Premium (SDP).
    Thank you for your reply. My circumstances are I live at home with my elderly father who is retired and receives state pension, a small private pension and Attendance Allowance. I'm not sure with this combination either of us are entitled to any more. I do care for him most days (when my conditions allow me to), making meals, making sure he's taking his medications and generally looking after himself, but nothing in an official capacity but I'm in the support group for ESA).
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Because your father gets AA, if you are awarded PIP you would be eligible for SDP in your ESA claim and your father might become entitled to some Pension Credit because he would become entitled to an SDP in his Pension Credit calculation. Whether he has any entitlement would depend on his pension amounts. 

This is because for SDP purposes people who live with other adults who also get disability benefits are treated as if they live alone.

Has he/you ever checked entitlement to Council Tax Reduction to help with the Council Tax. Try a benefits calculator.
    https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/

Is the house you live in owned or rented! 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • coldupnorth
    Options
    Again, thank you for the reply calcotti.

I will await to see if my pip claim is successful. If it is, do I need to contact ESA about the SDP or will they see that automatically and amend what I receive?

Once I get a decision on my pip I will run both of our details through a calculator and see what it says.
    The house is mortgaged in my fathers name. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,587 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    SDP isn’t automatically paid, if awarded daily living PIP you will need to ring ESA and ask to claim it. The form can be filled out over the phone. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • coldupnorth
    Options
    Thank you kindly poppy. You've both been extremely helpful.
  • coldupnorth
    Options
    SDP isn’t automatically paid, if awarded daily living PIP you will need to ring ESA and ask to claim it. The form can be filled out over the phone. 
    One final thing... will phoning ESA and applying for SDP (provided I am awarded pip) trigger a change in circumstances and force me over to UC?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,587 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    One final thing... will phoning ESA and applying for SDP (provided I am awarded pip) trigger a change in circumstances and force me over to UC?

No, this isn't a change of circumstances that will prompt a move. As advised, if you're awarded daily living PIP you should use a benefits calculator for your father to see if there's any entitlement to Pension Credit because he will also be entitled to the SDP which is paid with pension credit but whether there's any entitlement to PC for him will depend on how much his state pension and private pension is per week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.