Disabilities — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabilities

susanann
susanann Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I am suffering from depression, anxiety, vertigo, diabetes and osteoarthritis. I was wondering if anyone with similar symptoms  have been successful in receiving any sort of benefits. I am unable to work due to these problems and my child is about to leave home for uni so I will be living by my self. I can't leave the house due to me being very unsteady on my feet and having numerous falls in and out of the home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I suffer the depression (severe in my case) and anxiety and I am physically not steady on my feet but fortunately I don't fall much. I have other issues which aren't relevant. I too live alone and have for almost 12 years now and it has just become a case of managing as best I can. Being classed as severely disabled I get enough to live on but not enough to have a life as such but it's something you get used to, I guess. It's possible to get used to anything if you put up with it long enough.

I used to get help from Social Care so, if you are in the UK, maybe you could try that. Your GP can refer you or you can refer yourself. In my area there is a group called 'Health in mind' which assist people with the less severe symptoms of mental health issues. If you come out too severe for their help they refer you up to the next level. That may be an option to look into. MIND can also be helpful. Sometimes even your local Council can help. Most areas of the UK have an Occupational Therapy group which can assess your home and provide basic aids to assist you in daily life. I can't give you numbers for these but I'm sure Google will help find your local numbers.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi susanann

Have you tried putting your details into an on line benefits calculator ?
    there is one on here

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness