Disabilities — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.


Hi I am suffering from depression, anxiety, vertigo, diabetes and osteoarthritis. I was wondering if anyone with similar symptoms  have been successful in receiving any sort of benefits. I am unable to work due to these problems and my child is about to leave home for uni so I will be living by my self. I can't leave the house due to me being very unsteady on my feet and having numerous falls in and out of the home. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you


  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I suffer the depression (severe in my case) and anxiety and I am physically not steady on my feet but fortunately I don't fall much. I have other issues which aren't relevant. I too live alone and have for almost 12 years now and it has just become a case of managing as best I can. Being classed as severely disabled I get enough to live on but not enough to have a life as such but it's something you get used to, I guess. It's possible to get used to anything if you put up with it long enough.

    I used to get help from Social Care so, if you are in the UK, maybe you could try that. Your GP can refer you or you can refer yourself. In my area there is a group called 'Health in mind' which assist people with the less severe symptoms of mental health issues. If you come out too severe for their help they refer you up to the next level. That may be an option to look into. MIND can also be helpful. Sometimes even your local Council can help. Most areas of the UK have an Occupational Therapy group which can assess your home and provide basic aids to assist you in daily life. I can't give you numbers for these but I'm sure Google will help find your local numbers.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,217 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi susanann

    Have you tried putting your details into an on line benefits calculator ?
    there is one on here

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.