my pip appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

my pip appeal

ocdman
ocdman Community member Posts: 58 Connected
Hello, ive sent my pip appeal today and im wondering if my thinking is correct here.- 1/  I can always send further evidence or take it along to the tribunal? , im not sure if I will but just in case I think of something that might be of help to me in my notes etc and 2/  on my form I ticked no representation as is the case just now but as these tribunals can be a bit of time away am I correct in my thinking that even though ive ticked no representation at the moment this can be changed if I manage to find help ?

Thanks for any advice 

David

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Any further evidence/ submission should be with the tribunal 7 days before the hearing
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • ocdman
    Thanks cockney rebel , if I send further evidence do I also need to send it to the DWP as well ?

Do you know if I manage to get representation can they take over my case and rep me . I was running out of time so To make sure my appeal was in time I sent it of but I had to tick the box as acting for myself but im on the hunt now for representation but worried that the DWP try dirty tricks and will block any representation I manage to find.

Thanks David
  • CockneyRebel
    No you don't send anything else relating to this claim to DWP, only send to tribunal.
    The DWP have no ability at tribunal to block. If you do manage to get representation you should be ok if you notify the tribunal clerk. If in doubt ring the clerk to check

Have you tried http://www.fightback4justice.co.uk/

They posted on here a little while ago

CR

• ocdman
    Thanks cockneyrebel, 

My appeal papers etc should just be at the tribunal service today so my actual appeal date could be a wee bit away. I used benefits and work site for my help so I think Ive done everything I can up to now but you know how things are with this system- there are always things that come up etc that need further information etc. Plus doing things on a shoestring budget isn't easy but your information has really helped.

I have seen fightback4justice but they are up north and I live in southend essex . Ive got an appointment next week to go over things with DIAL and I think they might know of local representation ( I hope so ) . So thats about it so far , also Ive searched for welfare solicitors , Duncan Lewis came up as nearest to me , even they are a bit far away ,but at the moment thats as far as ive got.- Just searching and asking etc . Decision time will come soon enough im sure .

Thanks again cockney rebel 

David

• CockneyRebel
    You are most welcome
    If I can help with anything else please let me know

CR
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi @ocdman

You don't need representation - just remember that the Tribunal is only there for fact finding, they're not cross examining!

All they will do is ask you questions, and all you need to do is stay on track and answer them.

Please don't pay for benefits representation - I know you may feel panicked, but there are individuals who will basically take your money and run - besides, having a rep is of limited value to a person who is capable of using the internet and gathering some evidence themselves!

CR is right that the Tribunal want evidence at least 7 days in advance. If you get things late though, still take it, and they are likely to still accept it on the day so long as it's not too long.

Here's the CAB guide to appealing:-

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/apply-to-tribunal/

but aside from that, remember you can ask us as many questions as you like!

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.