moved from enhanced care and Mobility DLA for life to Standard care and mobility — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

moved from enhanced care and Mobility DLA for life to Standard care and mobility

Options
musicfan
musicfan Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have been on DLA as far back as I can remember I have a Genetic from birth condition called Trisomy eight Mosaic, this year I had the dreaded Pip assessment, medical, farces what ever you want to call it anyhow I got standard care 9 points and standard mobility 10 points, yep I'm loosing my car and independence no I haven't had a miracle cure in fact my condition is far worst now than it ever been so I am now going to appeal.  I'm just wondering about where to get help for this for on the day etc as Welfare rights is over whelmed cab does not go to appeals etc has anyone had this experience and can offer advice 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @musicfan

Many members, myself included, have attended Tribunals without representation and won.  Disability Rights, CAB and Scope websites all have guides to PIP appeals.  The Disability Rights Benefits Handbook has a very good section on Tribunal Appeals.  You have to buy this, from DR website, but it's worth the money and discounts are available.

Below is what I posted after my successful appeal in May.  My award was increased by Tribunal from standard both components for five years to enhanced both components with no end date.

"Tips?   Have your wits about you and be prepared for a grilling; and have thorough medical evidence even if it's not recent.

The only medical evidence I had was the DWP doctor's report and my GP's report from 1998 (both very thorough) when I was awarded DLA highest rates both components indefinitely.

The other two tribunal members weren't too bad - but the doctor asked some probing questions.  Asked for how long I could walk (time).  The Atos assessor asked that, too.  Although of course PIP points are supposed to be awarded for distance, not time (or so I thought).

Doc also asked how did I know I could only walk 20 yards?  Had I ever measured it?  I replied no, it was an estimate based on experience of distances.

The judge, doctor (as well as the Atos assessor) all seemed to think that ability to drive indicates a low level of disability.  Which is nonsense.  What's the point of Motability, then?  And many disabled people would be housebound without a car.  

I only take two, maybe three, round trips of 12 miles or less a week; I find driving long distances tiring.  I wouldn't advise any claimant to state that they do a lot of driving, especially longer distances."

• musicfan
    musicfan Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    thank you a lot of what you are saying mirrors my experience no adaptions in my car therefore I have really  good grip and strength yeah right.  I to stick to local areas when driving as I to can get very tired and my muscles and joints become restricted and painful,  most of my information is from childhood, 

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    @musicfan It sounds like you have done your Mandatory Reconsideration and the decision was kept the same. Applying for Appeal isn't all you can at this stage. I got my award changed after my MR. If you make a complaint to the assessment company about your assessment report and how it was not correct then ring DWP to book a call back from a Decision Maker (Case worker). When they ring tell him/her you've complained and ask if they'll look at your claim again. They can change the decision anytime right up to the Appeal date but you have to make it happen. You may have to send more evidence or tell them about evidence they're ignoring. Bear in mind if you do try this that your whole claim might be looked at again so the decision has to be made on that basis as there may be a risk of losing points you've already got. I did this and got my mobility increased and 2 more points on Daily Living. I decided not to go to Appeal but if I had I would have only then needed 2 more points overall for higher rate in both so it can be a stepping stone to ending up with what you feel you should be entitled to. Do whatever is best for you but just to let you know the option is there to speak to DWP anytime right up to your Appeal..

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.