Request a New assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Request a New assessment

Options
ahmed
ahmed Community member Posts: 9 Listener
HI my name is Alan, Ahmed is actually my Son, Ahmed is Autistic and goes to one of the National Autistic Schools. Ahmed is 18 he has always received the High Rate of Care but the Low Rate of Mobility, I have always worried about this because I believe he has been wrongly assessed Ahmed Still receives DLA and not PiP, However as Ahmed has never been able to get around by himself specially in public places should I appeal and ask for the High rate of Mobility for him, As he is unable to manage his own Affairs I have to do almost everything for him, Believe me when I say that Ahmed under no circumstances can go out by himself or even cross a Road by himself without being a serious danger to himself and other, It is very difficult even when I am with him he is just not aware of Danger, What worries me is the assessment he would not even have a clue why he would be at an assessment. Should I apply. its not about the Money although we could do with as much help as we can get, The cost of supporting a Child with autism today is enormous. it is about what he is entitled to. 

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    If he's 16 it over, it would be pip that he'd be assessed for if you report a change.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Alan

If Ahmed cannot manage his own affairs, have you thought of becoming his apointee ?

If you do apply he would be assessed for both components of PIP not just the mobility part

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    I asked for my husband to become my appointee and nothing happened. However there is a process in place. If you aren't Ahmed's appointee already ring the DWP and ask them to arrange this for you. I'm not sure whether this will trigger a change to PIP even if you don't mention any changes but make sure you're ready just in case that happens. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    To become your sons appointee, if you're not already then you would need to ring DWP to start the process off but because he's already claiming DLA they may take this as change of circumstances. He'll eventually be asked to apply for PIP anyway otherwise his DLA will stop. Whether you start that process off now is entirely your choice. Some people prefer to wait. I've just become my daughters appointee and started a PIP application off. If you don't become his appointee then he'll have to make the calls and manage his own money. Definitely worth thinking about. I know for a fact that my daughter would never be able to manage her money, make calls or go out alone.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.