If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Request a New assessment

ahmedahmed Member Posts: 9 Listener
HI my name is Alan, Ahmed is actually my Son, Ahmed is Autistic and goes to one of the National Autistic Schools. Ahmed is 18 he has always received the High Rate of Care but the Low Rate of Mobility, I have always worried about this because I believe he has been wrongly assessed Ahmed Still receives DLA and not PiP, However as Ahmed has never been able to get around by himself specially in public places should I appeal and ask for the High rate of Mobility for him, As he is unable to manage his own Affairs I have to do almost everything for him, Believe me when I say that Ahmed under no circumstances can go out by himself or even cross a Road by himself without being a serious danger to himself and other, It is very difficult even when I am with him he is just not aware of Danger, What worries me is the assessment he would not even have a clue why he would be at an assessment. Should I apply. its not about the Money although we could do with as much help as we can get, The cost of supporting a Child with autism today is enormous. it is about what he is entitled to. 


  • NystagmiteNystagmite Member Posts: 608 Pioneering
    If he's 16 it over, it would be pip that he'd be assessed for if you report a change.
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Alan

    If Ahmed cannot manage his own affairs, have you thought of becoming his apointee ?

    If you do apply he would be assessed for both components of PIP not just the mobility part


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,314 Pioneering
    I asked for my husband to become my appointee and nothing happened. However there is a process in place. If you aren't Ahmed's appointee already ring the DWP and ask them to arrange this for you. I'm not sure whether this will trigger a change to PIP even if you don't mention any changes but make sure you're ready just in case that happens. 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    To become your sons appointee, if you're not already then you would need to ring DWP to start the process off but because he's already claiming DLA they may take this as change of circumstances. He'll eventually be asked to apply for PIP anyway otherwise his DLA will stop. Whether you start that process off now is entirely your choice. Some people prefer to wait. I've just become my daughters appointee and started a PIP application off. If you don't become his appointee then he'll have to make the calls and manage his own money. Definitely worth thinking about. I know for a fact that my daughter would never be able to manage her money, make calls or go out alone.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.