Unable to access bank account — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unable to access bank account

SMW83
SMW83 Community member Posts: 108 Courageous
Hi,

I suffer from PTSD and Agoraphobia and rely on being able to shop online to be able to live independently.

I recently changed banks, applying and being accepted for an account online, which I have been using for a few months. Recently I have had issues with transactions being declined and therefore called them to discuss it. They have stated that as there has been some unusual activity on the account that I would have to attend a branch with photo ID to have restrictions on account removed. However owing to my illnesses doing this is an impossibility. As I can’t do this, my account is is essence frozen (other than being able to remove cash which is of me use to me) and I will be unable to pay for things using my card, leaving me unable to shop for myself and such.

i have advised them of this and pointed out that my account was opened without them requesting photo ID and such and they have allowed me to use the account without issue for the last few months.

Does anyone have any idea how to rectify this matter otherwise it will leave me in an untenable situation.

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @SMW83

I suggest that you phone the Scope Helpline - 0808 800 3333.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    @SMW83

Good afternoon & Welcome to our website and online community.

Yes I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago now.

In the end I had to go "backward & forward" to my bank in the end to get the item's in question clarified.

At the time I had to have a "face to face" with one off the banks staff.

The item's in question where of the internet !!!!

Are you able to get to your local bank ????

Please please get back to me if you are still experiencing problems !!!!!
  • SMW83
    @steve51 Due to my illnesses it would be impossible for me to attend my bank as not only does my Agoraphobia mean I cannot attend busy places or such, my PTSD means I am unable to engage with anyone I know to me.

Even if I was able I do not have the required ID as a passport or drivers licence are of very little use when you cannot leave your home.

I find it appalling they were able to open the account and have taken my monies and accepted benefits payments and such without requesting ID but won’t lift restrictions without seeing the ID. It’s nonsensical!
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SMW83

I'm so sorry I didn't realise please please forgive me !!!!!

Not a good day at all, I knew I should have stayed in bed this morning.

That won't work either as I don't like staying in bed at all.

Sorry for going "on & on"

Right what are you going to do with your current predicament ????
  • SMW83
    @steve51 I’ve no idea tbh, hence hoping someone on here can advise me.

The only thing I can do is attempt to open another bank account and use a credit card to pay for essentials until my new account is open. Hopefully this is a quick process otherwise I will not have the means to pay my credit card which will leave me in an even worse predicament.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Try contacting the Financial Ombudsman

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • SMW83
    @CockneyRebel Thank you. I didn’t think of that. I’ve just emailed their CEO so hopefully there will be some resolution from that, otherwise I will contact the Financial Ombudsman.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Can you speak to the bank again (or get a friend or family member to do it whilst you are there) and explain your needs?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • SMW83
    edited September 2017
    @sam_scope I’ve spent around 3 hours today talking to different people and departments with no resolution and them
    all reiterating the same information in spite of my circumstance.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh @SMW83 that is so frustrating, Im sorry :(

@Debbie_Scope do you have any ideas?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Please can I make a suggestion.  Ask the bank about third party providers. A third party provider is someone you have nominated and vetted by the bank.Who can access information and to make payments on your behalf.  They must be authorised by the FCA. Hope this is useful 
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • SMW83
    @thespiceman Thank you for your reply. I don’t feel I require this as I am able to and have dealt with my finances without issue since suffering with my illnesses. It’s only since moving back that this has become an issue.
  • dogfather
    dogfather Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    Could you not contact the bank & ask if a representative of your choice could attend the bank on your behalf. When ringing I quote the equality act to them & suggest they in breach of this act as they are not allowing reasonable adjustments for a person with severe difficulties. You may have to ask to speak to a supervisor or manager, especially if their call centre is abroad, if they can't follow the script to the letter you won't get anywhere.  
  • SMW83
    @dogfather Thank you for your reply.

As stated earlier, as my illnesses restrict me from leaving my home, even if I could appoint a representative,  the required ID (Passport or driving licence) I have has expired as  I have not renewed them as in my current situation they would be of no use to me.

I will try your suggestion regarding the Equalities Act as I am just asking to continue to use my account in the manner I have done since opening it. As I have said it seems nonsensical that they’ve allowed me to open and use an account without requesting ID or such but are restricting it now just because I attempted to make a ‘larger’ purchase.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello thank you for replying I still think I am only trying to help to ask about third party.  Even though you can do all the payments yourself.  I wonder if it is possible to use skype on line.  The option of using a third party is that if and when I could not go in I ring up the bank and say I sending in my nominee with a covering letter and proof of ID.  If and when I am too ill mentally to go in and manage my money.  I know I have had people in my life who had severe learning differculties and had a nominee who assisted and advised on their finances.  I know sometimes we need to have people in our lives who we can trust.  I do understand the issue here.  Being of a certain age now and getting worse as the years go on.  I am shocked by the cost of end of life expenses so with the banks advice set up a plan to cover this vast expense.  Using Scottish Widows.  I had to trust a valued friend to nominee him after I am gone to look after my needs.  I did this by the way because I lost many friends over the years and they all the spouses turned to me for a handout.  At the time I was running a business about thirty years ago.   This echoed me all these years and I had to do this because I have no family.  None wants to think about these things.  I know I might need to think about a third party sometime in the future.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @SMW83,

Sorry to see you've been having these difficulties with your bank.  

The main problem here is going to be the identification which you don't have as it's all expired. I fear that you're not going to be able to resolve this without the necessary ID. It's routine procedure to provide ID when opening a bank account. Even with online accounts there's a requirement to provide ID at some point in the process. It's strange that you were allowed to open one without providing any to start with.

Once you've got the ID you can look at asking the bank to make a reasonable adjustment i.e can they visit you at home? There is also the option of nominating a third party as advised above, although as you say, you're capable of managing your money so this probably isn't the best option for you.

Here are some links to help you get the ID you need.

Birth Certificate

Renew Driving license- you need a passport to do this online

Renew passport- you need a debit or credit card to use this service

It looks as though the easiest one to get will be your birth certificate, however as the bank will require photo ID, you may not have any other option but to try and renew your passport or driving license and that's not going to be easy with the need for a debit or credit card for the passport, and the need for a passport for your driving license.

Your bank should have a policy on what types of identification you can provide if you can't get any of these easily. If you're claiming benefits your local jobcentre might be able to help you out as you would have had to provide some ID to them when making your claim for benefits. They might be able to provide you with copies, although I can't promise this, this is just something I'm aware that they used to do when I worked in housing advice. 

Please let us know how you get on and whether you're able to sort this out. You haven't mentioned the bank involved but most have a complaints procedure so you may need to make a formal complaint in order to move things on.

Best wishes and good luck.
    Debbie

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    This thread is quite old, so you may not get a reply @SimonaS. Thank you for sharing your experience with this product. Had you experienced trouble with other banks previously?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.