prescription shoes and CP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

prescription shoes and CP?

Options
Julesp
Julesp Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi thanks for adding me. I have a 9 year old with cerebral palsy.  I am particularly interested to know if anyone gets prescription shoes as he gets through shoes at a rate of knots  thanks

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Julesp

A very big welcome to you to our website and online community.

Can you please pop over to our home page where you will find lots of info on CP.

Please please come back to me if you have any problems with this ???
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Options
  • niceboots
    niceboots Scope Member Posts: 198 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Julesp I have cp and have had prescription shoes on the NHS - mainly piedro boots. I used to get them through my physio when I was a child, I've also had them supplied by the orthotics department too. I must say in recent years it's been really hard to get them on the NHS, I don't know whether that's a budget thing (probably in my experience!) or whether it's because it's harder to get things in adult physio and orthotics. Their current view is that there's no clinical need for me to have them as I wear splints on both legs, so get the support from them, despite me having real problems getting smart shoes for work to go over my splints and having two different sized and width feet due to the muscle imbalance in my feet. I now buy my piedro boots myself, although it costs a lot!! Best of luck! Hopefully your physio can get your child some footwear, if so you may well get piedro boots, they are the footwear favoured by many for kids with cp and have been for years - I had my first pair at 2 and I'm now 30. The handy thing nowadays is there are always loads of kids sizes on eBay and other sites as kids grow out of them so fast
  • Julesp
    Julesp Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options

Hi   Thanks for your reply.   I guess it will be a financial thing that shoes are hard to get on the NHS.  I will have a look on eBay  cheers

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello please can I suggest you speak to your doctor.  I have footwear made for me .  I went to my doctor who wrote to the orthotics dept.  Local hospital .  This is because I have toes missing and have fallen arches.  As a child went through  footwear all the time.  Contacted doctors who made appointment with orthotics dept.  It was a local firm of footwear suppliers who had a contract with NHS.  Made me suitable footwear which include insoles.  Did not have to pay.  Hope that is useful to you hope things work out
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • 100clive
    100clive Community member Posts: 21 Listener
    Options

i went thru my doctors  I get mine done for free to I have a shorter right leg and need a built up right boot  

from good hope hospital orthotics dept

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    Certainly you should not have to pay for a child. I am sure though that the system will make it as difficult as possible for you because they do for everyone. Stick to it and you will get there I am sure.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness