what I am likely to get on ill health retirement? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

what I am likely to get on ill health retirement?

hells_bells190864
hells_bells190864 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi my name is Helen and I am profoundly deaf.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hells_bells190864

A very big welcome to you to our online community/website.

How are you this evening ???

Please please let me know if I can offer you any help/advice  ???
  • hells_bells190864
    I'm profoundly deaf and have been signed off work with The Home Office since 12th May with work related stress! Namely my line manager bullying me to go sick over an 18month period! I have Occupational Health reports supporting me in my claim that I did not want to go sick and that there was no reason for me to do so!  They are now trying to retire me on ill health but cannot find out what package I am likely to be entitled to and am therefore waiting to see the outcome as to whether I refuse to accept and let them dismiss me and go for constructive dismissal! It's the uncertainty hanging over my head which is making the whole thing far worse!
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Hi @hells_bells190864,

Welcome to the community, and sorry to hear about what you're going through. Are you being supported through the process? (Union rep, solicitor - that kind of thing?)
  • steve51
    Hi @hells_bells190864

Blimy what a horrible situation you find yourself in.

Yes I had to take early retirement myself due to ill health.

I had no other viable alternative as I pushed myself as far as my body could do.

Can you please let me know if there is anything that I can help you with ?????

• hells_bells190864
    Hi Steve yes, I need someone who can tell me where I can go to find out what I am likely to get on ill health retirement? I have contacted my pension department and also my pay section all to no avail.  Please forgive me if I have already replied to you, I. New to this? I would love some help and definitely support!
  • steve51
    Hi @hells_bells190864

Please don't worry about your replies I'm doing all the time "not to sure if it's my Age or my BI"

I had to take the "Bull by the Horns" with regards to mine a few years ago now.

As I was working at one of my "rehab units" I knew that things wouldn't be plan sailing at all.

Sorry for going on but yes I would like to help out where possible.

Please please let me know how you feel ????
  • hells_bells190864
    Hi Steve yes that would be great! Thank you! Do you know how I can find out an approximate figure for I'll health retirement? 
  • steve51
    Hi @hells_bells190864

That's no problem, yes I will look at this for you tomorrow morning if that is ok ???

Many many thanks.
  • hells_bells190864
    Hi Steve yes thank you! I work for the Home Office if that helps and have done since May 2003
  • steve51
    Hi @hells_bells190864

Good mourning, right lets get the show on the road.

I might need some help at some stage ????

I will post any more info on your wall if that is ok ?????
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hells_bells190864 I have moved your post to the ask a benefits advisor section so you can get some support and information from them.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi hells bells

Not wishing to be indelicate but one factor may be your age

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello hells_bells. I'm afraid I can't really advise on occupational pension / ill health retirement issues, as the rules are so individual, and will depend on your contract, length of service and so on. Your HR department and pension department are obliged to give you information about these issues, and as Alex says, a good source of support would be your Union. 
    We can advise you about state benefits, such as Employment and Support Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Universal Credit, Pension Credit and so on, so please get in touch with us if we can help you along these lines. Citizens Advice has some useful information, and this link contains a link to the Pensions Advisory Service, which may also be helpful:
    www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/pensions/nearing-retirement/preparing-your-finances-for-retirement/
    I hope this helps.

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.