is it possible to still receive PIP while being self employed? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

is it possible to still receive PIP while being self employed?

edenzack
edenzack Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I recently was awarded PIP after I was told to claim by CAB. This was after my contribution based ESA was ended after 12 month period. I suffer from a fluctuating fatigue syndrome, I have days where I am able to get about and other days where I am have difficulty getting out of bed. This has played havoc with my employment over the past few years, which leads me to ask the question- is it possible to still receive PIP while being self employed, if so, what are the limits on potential earnings/hours before I need to inform the relevant department? I currently receive about £220 a month in PIP payments. Hope this makes sense. Thank you.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @edenzack

A very big welcome to our website & online community.

I do hope that you are having a good day ???

We have got some Benefit Advisors here who I will fotward your post onto & I will ask for there take on your current situation !!!!!!!

Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo

Sorry but I have got another query for you !!!!

Many thanks.

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @edenzack, I've moved this query into the Ask A Benefits Advisor category, hopefully they'll be able to provide some more information for you. Hope today is as kind as possible to you!
  • janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Please can you let me know how you get on as I have similar symptoms only I'm still waiting for an appeal date re changing from DLA to PIP 

I hope you get the answer you need 

best of luck 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is not a means tested benefit and many people work full time and claim PIP.
    As long as the work you undertake is not in conflict with the reasons for you claim then it is permissable

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi edenzack,

With fluctuating conditions, a decision maker decides upon your entitlement to PIP by considering whether you score the points on the daily living and/or mobility activities for more than 50% of the time. If you are affected 4 days out of 7 for example, you should score the points and get the PIP if you score over 8 points in total. If you are affected 3 days out of 7, you don't score the points. I know with fluctuating conditions it is never that simple, but that's the guidelines that the decision makers have to work with. 
    If you look on your PIP decision notice at where you scored the points and on which activities, if you are still having the same difficulty for at least 50% of the time then you are ok. If you are finding that you are not having the same difficulty and it is less than 50% of the time that's when you need to inform the DWP of a relevant change to your circumstances. 
    It's got nothing to do with how many hours you work and how much you get paid. For example, somebody who cannot walk could get PIP mobility and work full time if they had a desk job. But if they worked as a postman (an extreme example I know!) then clearly the work is contradicting the reason for receiving the PIP. So, in a nutshell, it's all down to your health conditions, how they affect you, and how often they affect you.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• edenzack
    edenzack Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Lee. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    edenzackedenzack,

No problem. As Lee advises, PIP isn't affected by hours or earnings, but sometimes work can make the DWP question your award.

ESA is the benefit which has hours and earnings limits. You probably don't need to worry about these as your ESA has stopped, but I would check with the CAB whether they expect you to be able to get any income-related ESA, or failing that, national insurance credits for limited capability for work. Earnings from what we call 'permitted work' wouldn't stop you having limited capability for work so you could continue to get your NI credits if applicable.

The current limits are under 16 hours a week and earning not more than £120 a week. The £120 is a net figure. For self-employed work it would be your profits after expenses.

It's a good idea to inform the DWP about any work you do if you have limited capability for work. Even though your ESA has stopped, I think you probably are someone with limited capability for work and NI credits can be important. But as for your PIP, that's definitely not affected by hours or earnings. As Lee says, with PIP, the thing to think about is whether the work contradicts your PIP points. If the work is occasional, you have a fluctuating condition & still meet the points on more than 50% of days, there is no contradiction.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.