What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Housing benefi

hi. I'm single in receipt of pip. Still working but due to health had to reduce to two days a week. Could I now claim some housing benefit. I'm in a disabled person bungalow social housing    Thanks 


  • debsidoodebsidoo Member Posts: 327 Pioneering
    Don't know about yours but most Housing Associations have an adviser for benefit issues.They will be able to help you fill out applications.If not your local council will calculate h/b entitlement based on your average earnings for the month.xx
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    I agreed with Debsidoo. Your HA may have a welfare rights adviser. It's possible to get housing benefit whilst working on a low income. However, please do check first whether you are in an area where universal credit is available to disabled people. If it is, you may not be able to claim housing benefit any more. Universal credit may be less than your existing benefits (eg if you get income-related ESA as well as PIP), and you could end up worse off, so please get advice on this point before claiming.

    If there's no welfare rights adviser to ask, try putting your postcode into this website. If it says 'universal credit is available' you may have to claim it rather than housing benefit. If it says it's available to 'some people', you don't have to claim it.

    I don't know if there is any support provided as part of your rent (eg a warden) - if there is, then even if UC is available in your area, you can still claim housing benefit for your rent.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.