p.i.p — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

p.i.p

barongreeves
barongreeves Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hi, im disabled and cannot work.......because i receive a small private pension (54.50 per week) and carers allowance for looking after my son, i have not claimed universal credit (its full role out here) because i would be worse off quite a lot so i survive on my p.i.p payment which is both standard on care and mobilty.
my question is as my condition has worsened  if i adsise pip of it does the money i currently get stopped which would leave me with little income if i have to wait for a new decision/assesment?
thaks

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    How long is your current PIP award ?
    If you tell the DWP about a change of circumstance you will probably have  a f2f. Your current award will continue while a new assessment and decision is made, unless your current award runs out before a new decision is made which is very unlikely

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @barongreeves, I've moved your query into the 'Ask a benefits advisor' category, where they will hopefully be able to provide you with some more information.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello barongreeves. There are a few different things going on here so let's take them one by one.
    PIP: Before you ask for your PIP award to be increased, it's essential that you are confident that you satisfy the conditions for the enhanced rate of either care or mobility (or both). If you are really certain that you would be able to increase your component then go for it, and as Cockney Rebel says your current award would continue until a decision is made on your new award. There is some excellent information on PIP available on www.benefitsandwork.co.uk, and also on the Benefits Calculator part of this website: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check. The calculator would also show you what you might be entitled to under Universal Credit.
    It's really worth checking this out, just in case you can claim UC on top of your carers allowance and your pension. This is most likely to be the case if you have a rent or mortgage to pay. There may be other factors too, so I strongly suggest you run all your figures through the calculator, and also check that you are getting as much help as possible with things like council tax and health costs. You could also check that your son is getting his full entitlements too. Come back to us if you would like any further advice or steerage.
    Hope this helps!

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:

• barongreeves
    barongreeves Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    thanks for the help.....im better off getting full housing benefit than if i claim universal credit. i would be about £10 per week worse off.
    my son could claim u/c but his disability means it would not be possible for him to get to dwp office.....he applied but got rejected because he couldnt visit office........thanks for help bu looks like the daily struggle will continue lol

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.