Pip managing therapy descriptor — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip managing therapy descriptor

Options
spire2003
spire2003 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
edited October 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My wife is waiting for the pip2 form to arrive. She is currently on DLA but has had the letter & made the phone call to claim PIP. I take her a walk everyday for over an hour. She was advised years ago by her physio at the time that a walk everyday would help her mobility. She had a stroke in 2009. Can we class this walking as therapy ? If she doesn’t go a walk she is in more pain than if she does. After the walk she is tired out for a few hours. The walk that takes an hour I can do myself in about 15 minutes. Also she does not go out alone & always has someone with her. On the occasions when she has had a fall she needs help to get up again. She is unable to get up by herself. Thanks for any advise.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @spire2003
    Welcome to the community, I had a look at the descriptors for PIP and they define therapy as:

“therapy” means therapy to be undertaken at home which is prescribed or recommended by a - (a) registered - (i) doctor; (ii) nurse; or (iii) pharmacist; or (b) health professional regulated by the Health Professions Council"

Therefore to be able to be described as therapy for PIP's purposes I would think you'd probably need to have a letter from a registered doctor, nurse or health professional saying that these walks are part of a therapy plan.

I know you say her physio suggested it years ago but I don't think they would accept this, it would be good to see someone more currently who could give you evidence of your wife's condition and treatment plan.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi spire and welcome

It is important to understand the points system, the descriptors and the criteria for an award.
    To get an insight try taking the self test on the B&W site

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

The better prepared you are the more likely for a correct award

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.