Hi, my name is Montymarvel4268! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Montymarvel4268!

Montymarvel4268
Montymarvel4268 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, I am feeling a bit shy about this, I am a cat lover, am disabled and have ill health and very anxious about the benefit changes, also continuing paying my rent, as they won't pay all my housing benefit. So very unsure about my future housebound mostly very unwell , isolated, lacking in support , friends, advice direction etc, sorry I've said too much now , anyway don't know how this all works as only just found the site, I've used my cats name as couldn't think of user name. I am currently on dla income support , but worried about the brutal and unfair Pip assessment, I know questions are designed to make you feel, also worried that the stress of it will make me more unwell. And that they will give me an assessment that penalises me unfairly resulting in me being in a worse situation plus unable to pay difference in my rent too. Has anyone got any advice, sorry this is long. 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2017
    Hi montymarvel and welcome

Please don't be shy, we are here to help.
    DLA and PIP use different criteria. PIP is not so much about your condition but more about how it affects the things you can do.

It is important to understand the points system, descriptors and the criteria for an award. A good place to start is the self test on the B&W site

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

Have you tried putting your details into one of the online benfits calculators ?

Have you been invited to claim PIP yet ?

It is never to early to start preparing

We hear many bad tales on the forums but not all assessment go this way. We seldom see reports of the many good and successful claims as there is no need for them to seek help. Please don't worry about it, There is plenty of info on here about the process and we are here to help and support you .

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Montymarvel4268

A very very big welcome onboard our online community/website.

Don't worry about being shy we are a good bunsh.

We have got a benefit calculator on our site, I have put a link below for you.

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/check

Here's some info from our site with regatds to "pip"

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/pip

Please please let me know if you need anymore info & advise ??????

Many thanks.

• Montymarvel4268
    Montymarvel4268 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Cockney rebel, and Steve 51 thank you so much for the warm welcome,  first time I've joined a forum. I have not had the pip letter yet and am feeling really anxious about it I have heard lots of things worrying me, and  the questions seem so ridiculously inflexible and don't take into account my ongoing illness I have had so many hospital admissions lately I  am bothered the stress might result in another admission. Thanks for the links too will check them out but it's the points system that scares me it seems very rigid. Have either of you had experience of the pip yet? I'm also worried that I won't be able to get to the asssessment, don't know if they can come to your home or anything. And I'm in no fit physical state or emotional at present to cope with forms etc I can't even get to my gp she speaks to me on the phone, and I've often had home visits. Any help and advise would be appreciated thank you from Monty marvel
    ps
    i had to rehome my little dog, and one of my cats this year, and stop my ou degree because my health got so bad its been heartbreaking. I think a heartless assessor would just be the last straw.
    sorry it's long
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi

It is possible to have an assessment at home. You will normally require the support of your GP to specifically state that you cannot attend an assessment centre. This is something that you can prepare your GP for when it is needed.

Both my wife and myself have been through the PIP assessment process and I have help in 8 other successfful claims to date. So I do know first hand what you are going through.

Please do have a look around and take the self test

Any questions you have we will try and answer as best we can so try not to worry.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Montymarvel4268

Yes you can request a home visit would you like me to find some info for you ???

Don't get stressed about things if you can help it 

Please please come here & we will help & support you in anyway.

I haven't had the good fortune off having mind as yet but after helping numbers off members here I will know more than them when the time comes !!!!!

Please please keep your chin up !!!!!!!

Many thanks.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.