My area is now covered by Universal Credit but i am on PIP and it states i cannot have UC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My area is now covered by Universal Credit but i am on PIP and it states i cannot have UC

Natalie29190
Natalie29190 Community member Posts: 24 Listener
edited June 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all,

I am new.

I have been in receipt of Daily Living PIP standard amount since December 2016, i signed off JSA in January 2017

I am 27 and a dwarf and struggle daily, I was working between January 2017 until June, I got the job via Work programme (Shaw trust) with the job centre.

The job was bad and couldn't do it, it was in a shop lifting heavy stock and stocking shelves to which i couldn't reach most the shelves and the standing up all day i couldn't do so i left in June.

I know that i left my job so i will not be able to go back onto JSA straight away, i was told by friends i would need to wait 6 months.

December this year i will be able to apply for JSA again but i have looked online and my area is now taken over by Universal Credits, I filled in to apply online and when it ask if i get DLA or PIP i selected yes it automatically stated i cannot get UC because of that.

Please can someone help me in what i can do next. I live at home with parents and only have £50 to my name now. 

Thank you.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi natalie and welcome

Are you in a full service area or a live service area ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Natalie29190
    Hi, Thank you.

I think Live in Service area
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2017
    Hi @Natalie29190

Welcome to our website/online community.

We have got some info with regards to benefits on our site.

I have posted some info below on these.

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/pip

Please please let me know if there is anything else that I can help/support you with ???
  • CockneyRebel
    ok that is why you can't claim UC
    you can still apply for JSA and I think the 6 months waiting time nno longer exists so you should make your claim asap

CR  .
  • Natalie29190
    Oh ok thank you. It will not let me do it online as it automatically puts me claiming for UC but when i select the option that i get PIP it states i cannot get UC. I am assuming i will have to call. Would i be able to call Monday and claim? and not wait the 6 months. Thank you 
  • CockneyRebel
    As far as I know you do not have to wait 6 months any more so give them a ring on monday to make your claim

Please come back and let us know how you get on

and if we can help in any other way do let us know

CR
  • Natalie29190
    Thanks you and Thank you Steve51. 
  • steve51
    Hi @Natalie29190

Yes please give a phone tommorow mourning.

Please please let us know how you get on.

If there is anymore help & support that we give you please come back !!!!!

Thanks.
  • Natalie29190
    I am so nervous to call tomorrow to be told that i am denied JSA... :(
  • steve51
    Hi @Natalie29190

Please please don't be nervous about tommorow !!!!

Don't worry about being denied we can help/support with the next steps so all isn't "lost"

Please remain confident & hopefull & remember we are here for you what ever !!!!

Please please let me know if there is any help that I can offer/support you with ???

"Stay Strong"
  • chefdave
    chefdave Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi thats not what i have been told by CAB. As they have filled in my pip form knowing im on UC. My gp also says i should get it. Understand its not a means tested benefit.
  • Natalie29190
    @chefdave Is it possible you can explain your comment, I do not know what you are referring to. 
  • CockneyRebel
    chefdave said:
    Hi thats not what i have been told by CAB. As they have filled in my pip form knowing im on UC. My gp also says i should get it. Understand its not a means tested benefit.

PIP and UC depend on the status of UC in your area
    You are correct  PIP is not means tested 
    but
    If you are in a UC full service area then you can claim PIP as PIP remains outside the UC umbrella

If you are in a UC live service area and you claim PIP you are currently excluded from claiming UC

CR
  • steve51
    Hi @Natalie29190

How are things with you this mourning ????

Were you able too get your head around things ???

Please please let me know if I can help / support you in anyway ????

Have a good day ????
  • Natalie29190
    Hi all.

After four different numbers and one hour on hold i eventually applied for JSA.

I was asked many questions and asked the question have i had a job in the past 6 months to which i had to be truthfully and say yes (As i left my job in June)

The lady asked for a contact number and address of the job and i said i didnt know because i was sent for a job interview via work programme (Shaw trust).

She asked the reason for my leaving the job and i basically said change of job description.

I was employed as an office supervisor due to being a dwarf and cannot carry heavy stock nor stand for long and within 1 week of me starting the manager was sacked and i had to become supervisor of the whole store.

She booked me for an appointment with the job centre tomorrow and asked for me to take ID with me and the address and telephone number of my old job (to which i dont have)

I guess i will have to call Shaw trust for those details.

Kind regards,

Natalie  
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Best of luck with your appointment @Natalie29190: I hope you can find everything you need and that you get the outcome you're hoping for. Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of any further assistance! 
  • steve51
    Hi @Natalie29190

Good luck for tomorrow I do hope that you can get things sorted ???

Please please let us know how things go ?????

If there is any help/support that you need please let us know ???

"Keep Positive"
  • Natalie29190
    Morning all,

I went to my appointment at the Job Centre, lasted just over an hour.

I had to sign a declaration and i had to fill in a piece of paper of my previous employer so that DWP can contact them (I find that embarrassing)

I gave the details of a friend who still works there and the shop phone number (as the person in the job centre already had the shop number)

Everything will be sent to a decision maker and i will find out. 

I have to go back next Friday for a sign on even though i haven't been accepted yet for benefit. 
  • CockneyRebel
    That does sound like a step in the right direction
    Please keep us in the loop

CR
  • Natalie29190
    I received a text message from DWP saying they have got my claim for JSA and i will hear back in a week with a decision. Fingers crossed really, I dont think i will get JSA but i guess i will have to wait. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.