Pip tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip tribunal

julie1hall
julie1hall Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited November 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi , help needed , attended my daughters (17) pip tribunal today which was apparently unusually postponed as the panel weren't satisfied with some of the medical evidence. She was awarded 4points of daily care after assessment stage then 6 points on reconsideration stage . Other people today had representation but we just attended on our own! How do people get representatives as I know citizens advice bureau no longer can provide this service . 
Thanks in advance ! We need help for the next date probably Jan! 

Comments

• janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Hi @julie1hall
    It's a good question 
    Social Services?
    Support workers? 
    I'm sure other people need to know too

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Representation is hard to come by and is questionable how much use it is. It is not a criminal trial. For the most part the tribunal want to ask the claimant questions to understand the problems they have. The best person to explain your problems is you

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @julie1hall, representation seems to be something that some people choose to source locally.

To echo what others have said, it isn't necessary to have representation for a successful appeal, but if this is something you do want to pursue, you may like to investigate any local services in your area. There are some independent services such as this organisation, but I presume there will be fees involved here which may not make them a suitable route for everybody.
  • Justice
    Justice Community member Posts: 197 Pioneering
    Hi @Julie,
       I think everyone is so busy as there are so many cases being sent to tribunal due in my opinion to the inefficiency of the assessors. I know in our case ( My Husband has Parkinson's Disease), that the welfare officer from that organization has told us to contact them again as soon as he has to apply for PIP, they will assist with the form, and try to make it so that he does not have to have a face to face. I know that many people with Parkinson's have been turned down, and that Parkinson's UK have attended the tribunals, and helped them to win their case.
    With this in mind perhaps approach whichever charity or organization is involved with the illness/disability suffered by those having the assessment.
    There is also an organization called " Fightback for Justice", they seem to have a great deal of success from what I have read, but they do charge, you would have to find out  how much the cost is. Hope this helps.
  • julie1hall
    julie1hall Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thanks for all the advice , I had already spoke to the crohns / colitis national charity and they suggested CAB but they no longer provide representation. I just saw that all the other attendees waiting their turn had representatives with them and thought we were the only ones who didn't!! Its slightly annoying that they would have to ask a 16 year old the most personal detailed information to a panel of complete strangers!!  
    I felt sick and now we have to do it all again in a few weeks.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.