Help or not help to fulfill your life — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help or not help to fulfill your life

Options
Harp
Harp Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
Not talking to my parents at the moment because of many things like they don't accept me as me. It is a long story and I'm not going into it now.

One of the things my parents said and I was wondering what other people thoughts on this please, 

We minimise your disabilities to fulfil your life 
https://www.facebook.com/1Voice.Vision.of.the.heart/
Everyone has the right to have a say in what ever method they use

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello@Harp thank for saying this.  You are not alone.  I had this all the time I lived with my parents.  I am now away from them and live far from this sort of attitude.  I feel for you and do understand.  No one has the right to give you hassle and demean you.  I was once told by my mother that I would not amount to much.  Never have a relationship never get any where in life.  I have proved them all wrong.  Even though the years have gone I am feel the hurt and pain.  It is your life and you can do what ever you want.  I was once told by my mother that I use my illness and disability to get sympathy and I have a chip on my shoulder.  Well I see the light now and realised that they were the issue.  I hope and pray for you
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Harp
    Options
    I haven't lived with my parents for many years but relied on them to help me with things I struggle with. They have done  a lot for me but on the other end they don't listen and not accepted that there are people out there and equipment which will help with my needs.

I  am now getting outside help but my confidence is dented.

I am trying to sort things out with my parents but there a lot of denial from them as well swerving around subjects. So I have suggested counselling for us all. 

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    Not being accepted by parents is far too common but then the same applies to acceptance by children. I think it is just a general society issue that people do not want or need to be constantly reminded of disability. They want to spend time with people who can get better, just so they don't have to face reality.

It's very sad.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Harp
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.

I do wonder if being away at a speech and language school for 8years not help with the matter.

When 1 of my sister in laws came into the family, she talked down to me, treated me like a kid, talked to me through me, teased me about my speech and said it was banter. She got ticking off for the teasing by my mum but the rest didn't, all I got don't want to upset their relationship.

Also I was told perhaps it be good to have some normal friends. Normal???? My life is normal to since I was born with my disabilities. So is my disability is not knowing the life without a disability? 

Brightness