Talking about What Happens After We Die to people with learning difficulties — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Talking about What Happens After We Die to people with learning difficulties

dlm
dlm Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity

Hello everybody!

I am a senior support worker, providing supported living services and i'm also a keyworker for a young gentleman with learning and physical difficulties who communicates mainly via Makaton, can understand most of what is said when talking to him and possess a Grid 3 communication aid.

I am looking for advice around discussing the subject of What Happens After We Die, wanting to discuss his preferences for funeral arrangements. He is not dying or about to pass away but our service compile a booklet with the choices that people can make around their own funeral arrangements.

I wonder if anyone knows of any good websites, books, communication tools that can help in the way that I present the information to him. Perhaps something that shows what kind if things happen at a funeral, who might be there etc.

I've found a few books that have one or two useful pages that discuss burial/cremation but not really about things like readings or music choices.

I'd very much appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Many thanks.

Comments

Brightness