Swallowing difficulties — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Swallowing difficulties

sinead92
sinead92 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments
can speech and language therapy help adults with swallowing difficulties. I struggling with swallowing and pain and feels like muscles are overworked and drinks and meds are a problem. I have been seen ENT who said nothing was physically wrong but problem could be due to reflux and all the pghlem I get. But doctor suggested that speech and language might be next step 

Comments

• NicolaLatheySLT
    NicolaLatheySLT Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Dear Sinead,
    Yes, speech and lanaguage therapists will
    assess and advise about mechanical feeding problems. You can ring your local speech and language therapy department and get a self-referral. 
    Good luck. Thanks,
    Nicola
    Nicola Lathey
    Speech And Language Advisor
    Phone: 01242 571883
    Email: nicola@theowltherapycentre.co.uk
    theowltherapycentre.co.uk
  • sinead92
    sinead92 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Thanks, yeah I am hoping my doctor will do the referral as apprantly my local speech and language therapy does not accept self referral for swallowing difficulties and only for speech problems 
  • Cez
    Cez Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have multiple sclerosis and I’ve been seen by speech and language departments at my local hospital as I’ve lost muscles in my throat and since I’ve noticed about six months ago that I’m not swallowing without having to make myself swallow consciously and I have choking difficulties when I sleep so my occupational therapist had an adaption for my bed and I have to sleep with the top of my bed raised. Just wondering if I should be referred back to speech and language department and if you had any information of anything I can do or if something can be done to help me? 

Brightness