Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Swallowing difficulties

sinead92 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments
can speech and language therapy help adults with swallowing difficulties. I struggling with swallowing and pain and feels like muscles are overworked and drinks and meds are a problem. I have been seen ENT who said nothing was physically wrong but problem could be due to reflux and all the pghlem I get. But doctor suggested that speech and language might be next step 


  • NicolaLatheySLT
    NicolaLatheySLT Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Dear Sinead,
    Yes, speech and lanaguage therapists will
    assess and advise about mechanical feeding problems. You can ring your local speech and language therapy department and get a self-referral. 
    Good luck. Thanks,
    Nicola Lathey
    Speech And Language Advisor
    Phone: 01242 571883
  • sinead92
    sinead92 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Thanks, yeah I am hoping my doctor will do the referral as apprantly my local speech and language therapy does not accept self referral for swallowing difficulties and only for speech problems 
  • Cez
    Cez Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have multiple sclerosis and I’ve been seen by speech and language departments at my local hospital as I’ve lost muscles in my throat and since I’ve noticed about six months ago that I’m not swallowing without having to make myself swallow consciously and I have choking difficulties when I sleep so my occupational therapist had an adaption for my bed and I have to sleep with the top of my bed raised. Just wondering if I should be referred back to speech and language department and if you had any information of anything I can do or if something can be done to help me? 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.