Job Center Bullies — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Job Center Bullies

leecop
leecop Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Please could somebody give me some advise. I write on behalf of my 60 year old sister who has just had her benefits changed to job seekers instead of EESA. Now she has to go to the job centre and be humiliated by staff that have no idea or interest in her learning difficulty which she has had since birth. Suddenly she has been told go get a job, no training no support. They have no idea of the trauma this is causing to her . She has suffered with bullies since school mocking her disabilities and now it seems its acceptable for the job centre to do so . Please as her brother  I need to know her rights, over the years her social support has disappeared and now at 60 years old she is being told job search or no benefits .   

Comments

• Chaoskay
    Chaoskay Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Hiya @leecop
    Your sister sounds to be in a very difficult position, but at least she has a supportive brother on her side.  :)
    Being bullied can affect people for their whole lives and I'm sorry she's had to go through that.
    Hopefully someone will come along on here soon and they will be able help you to find out what you can do to improve her situation.  All the best,
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi Leecop.It May be worth contacting your nearest Age Uk network.They may be able to advocate for your sister or at least advise her on how to get help in her situation if there is any scope for appeal.There is also an organisation called MIND who have experience with mental health so you could try there.
    Ido hope you find a solution.

• irobinson
    irobinson Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have had some pressure put on me to get work, I have not had any success as yet and my health conditions are not helping me at all. They have targets to fulfil and they are sometimes unaware of people's conditions, and working in the open job market. I brought in my hospital letters with my diagnosis written clearly in the letter from the consultant and that sometimes has a better impact and the illness or condition is no longer invisible to them.
  • leecop
    leecop Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for the replies, it appears there is a MIND in her home town so I will contact them for some advice, she had already a letter from her doctor explaining her lifetime disability but it appears they refused to put this on her file due to a ESA assessment result earlier this year . I hope to go with her at the next meeting in January but unfortunately I work full time and cant always attend. just two years ago she had a care manager and key workers used to visit  , I must find out why this support stopped and whether this can be reinstated.
    Thank again for all your replies.
  • iza
    iza Scope Member Posts: 703 Pioneering
    HI @BenefitsTrainingCo please can you help  @leecop

I am sorry to hear what your sister is facing now. It not nice to be humiliated. Unfortunately it is happening very often in Job Centre these days. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.