Looking to meet new friends — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking to meet new friends

Options
Pinkpikachu
Pinkpikachu Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2017 in Coffee lounge
I have already met some lovely people via my mum joining the forum, but it would be great to meet some people near me. I live in Norfolk. I am a 20 year old girl and I have cerebral palsy. I am in a wheelchair but my learning disabilities are fairly mild. I have always attended mainstream education with support. I value all friendship but I would love to meet someone similar to me who totally understood my frustrations etc. A lot of activities/clubs here are geared towards people with learning disabilities, which is lovely for those who enjoy them, but I quite often feel lonely and isolated because my limitations  are more physical. I would love a nearby friend who I could relate to and vice versa.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Pinkpikachu
    Welcome to the community, Im glad you have joined us!
    Have you ever thought of joining the Women's Institute? It's really not just for older people these days and they have some great activities and talks and you can make some brilliant friends.  You can search for your nearest WI here.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Chaoskay
    Chaoskay Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi @Pinkpikachu
    Just as a thought. You know the search bar at the top (just look for the big white magnifying glass in a purple box); type 'Norfolk' into it and have a look at what comes up.  

There's a few blogs and articles about groups in your area, there's one post about a befriending service, which I'd link you to if I knew how to.  That might be helpful.  

Also, I recommend starting a new forum post with the title 'Does anyone here live in Norfolk?' which will immediately draw the attention of people local to you on this forum.  It's worth a try isn't it.  :)

Brightness