Hi, my name is RitaEliza! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is RitaEliza!

Options
RitaEliza
RitaEliza Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi, I'm disabled, I have angina, arthritis in the bottom of my back.my husband is 71 years old and I'm 68.  We moved into a cançul bungalow a few years ago. My husband does not like gardening, I always did the gardening. So we had the garden paved and have a lot big pots. Got two single bed put them togethe. As I was unable at times to sit up, the bed helps me to sit up so my husband does not have to pull me up. This as helped us both my arms when pulling me up and his back. I have electric wheelchair, which Use when my back is very bad. However I do walk with a walking stick when I can. So we have done as much as we can, we had a OT come out to see if they can help in any way. I ask if we could have our kitchen done to suite our needs. 1) to have one of those units put in so we can buy a oven to put into it. 2) a work top that I can put my legs under when I set down. OT phoned us up, we was turned down. We got a lot of things to help our shelves so we now can't afford to do this ourselves. I like to be able to start baking again, bendingmup and down is to much for me. My husband does a lot already, so I don't make cakes a thing I enjoyed doing. Is there anything I can get help with this. thank you. 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @RitaEliza, welcome to the community and thanks for sharing this with us! I can imagine that life is difficult for you both at the moment. I've moved your post to our Ask An Occupational Therapist category, to see if they have any suggestions for your kitchen. Hope today is as kind as possible to you!
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @RitaEliza

In order to best advise you it would be helpful to hear the reason why the adaptations to your kitchen were declined?

Did the OT not agree that they were necessary? or was there another reason given? If you are unsure of the reason for the decision you may wish to contact the OT and request an explanation.

If you wish to share with us the reason for the decision I may be able to give you some pointers about what options might be available to you.

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• RitaEliza
    RitaEliza Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    They did not say, oT for cares are coming to see us soon. I will ask her as we did not have a phone number to ring her. She did say the cancel may not have the money. However when she rang my husband answered the phone she said it was turned down, but did not tell him why. I will find out when she comes   Thank you for your reply. 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @RitaEliza

Thanks for the update. Once you know the reason for the decision was declined please post again or contact our Helpline 0808 800 3333 for further advice.

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness