Pip when I reach 66 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip when I reach 66

Options
hi, Iv had lots of operations on my knee following a knee replacement in 2012
now I'm wheelchair bound, 
i would like to no, as I get the full amount of PIP will I still get it when I reach my state pension age, 
thank you

Comments

• Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Options
    Hello @jaynelouise
    The short answer to your question is no.

PIP as I understand is up to the age of 65. You then switch to a different benefit called Attendance Allowance.

Not sure if you are automatically invited to apply for this or notified by DWP or whether you need to contact them.

• maggie54
    maggie54 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    If you go on to age uk it says if you get pip before you reach 65 you keep it after as long as you can prove you are Entitled to it hope this helps 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Neil2017 said:
    Hello @jaynelouise
    The short answer to your question is no.

PIP as I understand is up to the age of 65. You then switch to a different benefit called Attendance Allowance.

Not sure if you are automatically invited to apply for this or notified by DWP or whether you need to contact them.

Sorry but this is incorrect

If you are in receipt of PIP at retirement age and you continue to meet the critria then your PIP award will continue at the same rate. You can still be reassessed as you are now. The main thing to be aware of is the mobility component. This cannot be increased after retirement age even if your needs change

If you do not receive PIP at retiement age the you cannot apply for it.Then your option is to apply for AA  which does not have a mobility component.

You cannot receive both PIP and AA

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Neil2017
    Neil2017 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @CockneyRebel
    i stand corrected and learn something new. I always thought you had to change to AA at 65 and over. Obviously a change.

interesting to know @CockneyRebel
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem
    All these benefits take some understanding

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Neil2017

The rules have always been that if you are in receipt of PIP before age 65 then you continue to receive it after age 65 as long as you continue to meet the qualifying criteria.  As @CockneyRebel says, if you are not in receipt of the mobility component pre-age 65 then you cannot apply for it post-age 65; and if you only receive the standard rate mobility pre-65 then you cannot apply for the enhanced rate post-65.

All those under 65 as at 8 April 2013 in receipt of DLA at the time will be re-assessed for PIP regardless of their age when re-assessment becomes due.  For example, I was on DLA and then re-assessed for PIP at age 68.  At DLA/PIP re-assessment post-65 you can be awarded the mobility component (I was) and this you keep (as long as you continue to meet the qualifying criteria).  

If after DLA/PIP reassessment post 65 you are not awarded PIP, you have the option to appeal or instead to claim Attendance Allowance.

Yes, it is complicated :).

Brightness