PIP assessment report and Decision makers conclusion - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment report and Decision makers conclusion

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    First you have to request the mandatory reconsideration, only then can you proceed to tribunal. You need to have a copy of the MR decision.

Unfortunately Tribunal appeal is probably months away and you will have plenty of time to prepare your submission and submit any further evidence

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • alisha22
    alisha22 Community member Posts: 320 Pioneering
    Oh dear ok. I haven't even got that dreaded decision letter yet. When I ask for mandatory do I ring or is it better to write to them. How likely is it for the md to change their minds.
  • CockneyRebel
    Have you asked for a copy of the assesment report ?
    You have a month from the date of your decision letter to ask for an MR
    As with all things DWP ring and write so that you have a paper trail.
    The stronger you can make your case the better chance you have at MR but the statistics are not in your favour.

CR
  • alisha22
    I only  got the  assessors report and was told on phone the decision, but nothing on paper yet. I will wait for the letter than ring dwp as well as write my concerns aswell as difficulties in face on a day to day basis.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    alisha22,

The time limit of the month should run from the date you are given or sent the decision. You have a right to get it in writing so I hope it comes soon. Agreed with all the advice above. It's fine to ring the DWP but a good idea to say 'I'll follow this up in writing' just in case they later claim there is no record of the phone call... If it does end up being outside the month just explain why - we have case law now to say that they should still allow you to appeal if your MR request is late.

We've been told recently that the DWP will scrap the target of not changing 80 per cent of their decisions, but until we get different statistics coming through we have to assume things are still as hard as ever...Once you get the MR notice, you may well have to appeal, but for now just provide whatever you can - any extra evidence you have will help, but don't worry if you don't have any.

I'd also agree with CR that it is worth complaining to Capita. If you do go to tribunal, then as CR says, they won't be able to follow up the bad assessor. They can change the decision about your PIP, but can't do anything about the system itself. That requires bigger change which we hope to see one day if the government respond to the continued criticism of the assessments.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• alisha22
    Hello everyone, got my letter from dwp saying cannot offer pip at this point. Letter dated 11/12/2017 received today 18/12/2017 so not a lot of time to gather stuff and write to them for MR. I'm seeing my gp Thursday and will write letter then and get receipt from post office for proof.
  • kevin888
    kevin888 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    Their letters always take a week then you have only 3 weeks to reply. Send everything back next day recorded delivery to be signed for, may cost a few £ but worth it.
    With the MR I went into more detail how things affect me and work with the descriptor values. In mine I said, I should have been awarded.... if you think you meet the 12 point answer say so. My MR letter was 8 pages I think! Send all the relevant info if you think it will help. Nothing to loose.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    alisha22,

As Kevin suggests, just send whatever you can. They have to look at the decision again if you ask them; the amount of detail you go into is up to you. If you can tell them what points you think you should have got and why, that can be useful. But because MRs are so rarely successful, don't worry too much - the main thing is to say that your difficulties have been underestimated and you should have got a higher award. Any evidence you can send will be useful.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• alisha22
    Thank you guy's so much as I worry a lot which tributes to my health more. I will be honest as I have been so far and will send evidence and support letters. Can I send the evidence later, I meant I will write to them but gathering evidence may take just a little longer.
  • CockneyRebel
    When you ring and or write tell them that you will be sending further evidence and they should allow you a further 4 weeks

CR
  • alisha22
    Hi, thanks will do. They asked me about the assessor and I said what I felt, they too suggested making a complaint, but I just want to concentrate on the MR

• CockneyRebel
    You can make the complaint at any time. So good idea to concentrate on MR first

CR
  • alisha22
    I believe chances dwp changing decision is very low but I think it's worth giving it a go. We got nothing to loose,  but I'm pretty sure I will be going down the tribunal route. In a way I hope it does if that makes any sense. 
  • CockneyRebel
    The DWP have recently said that they are scrapping the 80% target for upholding MR's. All you can do is give it your best shot.
    I hope It does go well for you and as always please do ask any questions

CR
  • alisha22
    Thank you for the best wishes, I will let you know of the outcome

• alisha22
    Hello,  can anyone advise me on something I'm doing a Mr reconsideration and was wondering as mostly they don't charge their original decision is it worth gathering evidence, just write to them and save all my energy on gathering stuff for the tribunal. Please advise 
  • Rosiesmum
    Rosiesmum Community member Posts: 75 Connected

HI @Alisha22 my son's was changed at MR.I sent in GP letter stating difficulties with mobility and grip etc .Also sent a letter bullet pointed assessors scores and matched the description to medical evidence they already had as advised on here.So yes if you have further evidence it's worth a try.

He still wasn't awarded the right points but at least he got enough for an award which may help you out while you're waiting if it has to go on to appeal.

Best of luck to you

• alisha22
    Thank you rosiesmum, judging by your experience in feel a bit reassured, and will submit additional evidence and hope for the best. Xx
  • alisha22
    For MR can you submit evidence later as my appointments are in jan/Feb 2018 and referrals and don't have time to delay as got first decision letter on the 11th December 2017 so need to hurry to get that back, if I wait for evidence it will be too late. My gp is back after Christmas break as is my physio etc. I hope they don't make decisions with out. I have a appointment letter for my  knees I could send a copy of that with a  summary of my daily functions and my father who also cares for me has written a support letter of what he helps me with. I know that may not be enough but I can't do anything til 2018 now.
  • alisha22
    Will the dwp use my  original documents from when I first applied surley they still have them, for pip Mr 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.