Appearance - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appearance

Comments

• freckles
    freckles Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    My assesement was cancelled last monday due to the snow still not heard of when my new assesement will be i hope its before christmas so i can get it out of the way
  • Rosiesmum
    Rosiesmum Community member Posts: 75 Connected

@freckles what a nightmare. It's awful all the waiting isn't it.They do seem to be cracking through the backlogs a bit now at least but I don't know wether that's a good thing or not!

Hope all goes well for you when you finally get there :)

• freckles
    Thankyou rosiesmum 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 215 Listener
    @Rosiesmum hi rosiesmum she first got an assessment at a building centre..I rang them and said she can't attend they cancelled her appointment straightaway then approved an home visit they then contacted mums doctor which they have now received. I rang the otherday and they said they are just waiting for an assessor in her area... Then she said if we get any cancellations will mum be available anytime... But during them contacting mums doctor they also said in a letter they may not need to see her but this was before they mentioned the if she would be available to  have  cancellation,  so we just don't know which it's going to be f2f/ paperbased... My mum isn't so stressed about the whole thing because her state of mind doesn't register has to how this is going to affect her.. I'm stressed more I just want it done and dusted like everybody else... Thankyou for the advice on my ID I didn't know this 
  • [Deleted User]
    freckles said:
    My assesement was cancelled last monday due to the snow still not heard of when my new assesement will be i hope its before christmas so i can get it out of the way
    Hope it's soon for you and my mum good Luck.
  • ellenlow17
    ellenlow17 Community member Posts: 25 Listener
    It’s dreadful leading up to the assessment then they cancel you and you’ve it all to go through again. I hope your appointment comes soon and you get through it all well x
  • Rosiesmum

@Budgie2 I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your Mum.Are you OK with short notice? We literally got the letter Friday to let us know they were coming on the Monday.In a way it was better as by then my nerves were shredded already hence the flapping!

My autistic son had his done on paper,consisted of a quick call from DM with a couple of questions and done and dusted in 11 days flat.

I think the real horror stories are getting less now so hopefully the people who need it the most do eventually get it..not ideal but I'm always positive :)

I hope all those attending/having their assessments over the Xmas period especially still manage to have a lovely Christmas,and I wish you the very best of luck.

I appreciate it's such a difficult time of year for people with additional needs as it is as everything grinds to a halt.

Onwards and upwards as they say XXX

• [Deleted User]
    Rosiesmum said:

@Budgie2 I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your Mum.Are you OK with short notice? We literally got the letter Friday to let us know they were coming on the Monday.In a way it was better as by then my nerves were shredded already hence the flapping!

My autistic son had his done on paper,consisted of a quick call from DM with a couple of questions and done and dusted in 11 days flat.

I think the real horror stories are getting less now so hopefully the people who need it the most do eventually get it..not ideal but I'm always positive :)

I hope all those attending/having their assessments over the Xmas period especially still manage to have a lovely Christmas,and I wish you the very best of luck.

I appreciate it's such a difficult time of year for people with additional needs as it is as everything grinds to a halt.

Thankyou so much for your kind words I hope so..  I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas and Happy new year x
  • [Deleted User]
    Budgie2 said:
    Rosiesmum said:

Thankyou so much for your kind words I hope so..  I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas and Happy new year x
    And yes she is always available doesn't go out not even to the garden for fresh air withering away in her bedroom so sad I love her so much x
  • freckles
    There is a piece in the independant it quotes GOVERMENT,S NEW BENIFIT SYSTEM WRONGLY DENIES DISABLED PEOPLE SUPPORT AT HIGHER RATE THAN EVER!!!!!! it shows how bad the DWP are at lieng at there statistics to cover up there vast mistakes or should i say lies in PIP assesements to which people are going to tribunials and winning there cases 
  • Rosiesmum

Thanks @freckles I hadn't read that I'll take a look.

I am only speaking from the people I know personally,through support groups/carers centre and special school and have to say my son is the only one who has had this difficulty but then he is the only one working so wether that has anything to do with it who knows..

I hope that the fact so many are winning at appeal shows the system gets it right in the end but that is no solace to people who have genuine disabilities who may be cold and hungry and penniless as a result.

As @wildlife said earlier on there is sadly no easy answer and I do think the system needed overhauling BUT as I said in another thread if we must play by the rules so must they.

I'm still thinking positive and sending a big hug to @Budgie2 XX

• ellenlow17
    Well that’s my meeting done for assessment!  Wasn’t too bad really....loads of questions with the answers all entered to a computer , a cognitive test and some movement in my legs and arms but told not to do anything that hurt.  Fingers crossed! 
  • Rosiesmum

Oh that's great news @ellenlow17 I'll keep everything crossed for you ! Gets it out of the way at least in time for you to enjoy Christmas.

We could tell at the time with the ladies attitude as soon as she walked in we were in trouble..The  assessments I have attended with others who have had a good result ,their HCP's had a really positive attitude.Sounds similar to yours so hoping for you that's a good sign that they are sorting things out a bit at least.

Do keep us posted ,get into your comfy togs and have a lovely Xmas XX

• ellenlow17
    Thanks very much.  Hope you have a lovely xmas too 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ellenlow17 Hope assessment goes ok and best wishes.  Reading what everbody says.  The point is that how you feel and should dress what makes you comfortable.  I have done a few of these assessments and it is never easy.  I know at the last one I had struggled to get there.  Map says 15 minutes to centre more like 40 minutes.  So I advise plenty of time.  Talking about appearance I put have a problem doing up zips and buttons.  Wears Tshirts and has shirts already button up just last few not button up so I pull it over my head.  The assessor did notice this as it was on my form.  Got a shirt on today I noticed she said.  I told her as I have explained.  I hope you have some support that is the other vital thing .  Usually someone who knows you well.  Last time support worker.  Another time a friend.  Someone who can speak for you.  I hope every thing goes well Take care.  You have a lot of support on this community and been given a lot of advice
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • ellenlow17
    Thank you. Hope you have a lovely Christmas 
  • freckles
    Just got my new pip assesement through today 3rd january
  • Rosiesmum
    Hi @freckles that's really good news at least it's soon so it will be over and done with! Best of luck I'll be thinking of you that day and let us know how it went :)
  • [Deleted User]
    freckles said:
    Just got my new pip assesement through today 3rd january
    Great hope it's going to be a good new year for you 
  • freckles
    Thankyou rosiesmum i will let you no how it goes i,ve got all my medical reports to take with me

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.