PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Appearance

ellenlow17ellenlow17 Member Posts: 25 Listener
hi again. Well hopefully I will attend my PIP assessment by Atos after last one was cancelled 1-2 hours beforehand. Looking for opinions....do I make the effort to look “respectable” with best clothes on and hair done or just casual and comfortable the same as I do every other day ? 

Replies

• RosiesmumRosiesmum Member Posts: 76 Connected

I can only tell you what the assessor wrote on my son's form that he was well turned out (in pj's) well groomed (explanation was provided of help he needs) and DM used this as sign he could look after his own needs.

I would dress as you usually do especially as you may have a wait if they are running late and may have to sit on chairs that are designed to be uncomfortable with no arms.

I wish you the best of luck as I can imagine how nervous you must be.

Have an explanation ready,preferably backed up by medical evidence if they ask you if you can do something and you struggle.

Reread the descriptors before you attend so you are aware of how you fit them if you do.

I have had three good experiences with ATOS and only one bad one so there are good assessors out there,try to get a good nights sleep,hope all goes well for you

• MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    @ellenlow17

Do not dress up.  Let the assessor see you as you usually are.  Dressed up people can appear to be less disabled than they are - and assessors are very influenced by what they can see.  Assessors comment in their reports on the appearance of their interviewees and descriptions of a well-groomed appearance do not count in the interviewees' favour at the DWP.
  • ellenlow17ellenlow17 Member Posts: 25 Listener
    I thought that might be the case but feel better that other people confirmed it. Thanks very much 
    Thanks to Rosiemum too for her reply.  I’ll let you know how it goes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215 Listener
    I don't mean to be rude when I say this but they are people out there that would love to be able to dress up everyday but CARN'T may I just remind you that this is Not a job interview it's a disability assessment. And if you can  show them that you can brush up well,   I wish you the best of luck. Some ppl out there carnt even lift an hair brush to their hair,  and if they have got someone to do it for them they are so poorly their hair is the last thing on their minds.  Good luck with your assessment. 
    Good luck with your assessment, @ellenlow17.
    Thanks Matilda
    edited December 2017
    Budgie2 thanks for your comments and good wishes.  I do honestly know there’s people who are worse than me but it takes me a huge effort to dress nicely and style my hair even with my husbands help. I can promise you it’s not a thing I do much!  Some days I’m not out of pj’sand always have comfortable casual clothes when I do go out.  I do have a lot to be grateful for and I am always aware of that I hope you have  a nice Christmas  
    Budgie2 thanks for your comments and good wishes.  I do honestly know there’s people who are worse than me but it takes me a huge effort to dress nicely and style my hair even with my husbands help. I can promise you it’s not a thing I do much!  Some days I’m not out of pj’sand always have comfortable casual clothes when I do go out.  I do have a lot to be grateful for and I am always aware of that I hope you have  a nice Christmas  
    Hope you have a nice Christmas too and peace be with us all.
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    Appearance is always more important for ladies than it is for us men. However, I would suggest you only dress up as much as you can do on your own, without help from others. You need to express a true sense of yourself rather than what someone else can make you and it will be assumed that you did it on your own so can be self destructive to show more than you can manage.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • jazzylovesthisjazzylovesthis Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Just be how you are on a normal day I would say but if as most ladies do you would like to dress up a bit then why not? Isn't it terrible that we have to worry about these things to get the help we are entitled to. Very very good luck x
  • frecklesfreckles Member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    My niece went for a pip assesement she had some make up on they said if you can put make up on you car,nt be that ill so be aware they do look at your appearance
    Thanks everyone I’m grateful for all your replies 
    merry Christmas to you all x
    edited December 2017
    @Topkitten and @freckles are absolutely right.  The more well-groomed you are, the more the assessor will assume that you can manage bathing and dressing without help.

My assessment report stated that I looked tidy and kempt, the implication being that I had no difficulty with bathing and dressing.  And another member reported that at her tribunal hearing the disability person challenged her need for PIP because she was wearing shoes with heels and earrings, i.e. therefore she must be able to walk normally and have no manual dexterity problems.

The Disability Rights Handbook recommends that people do not dress up for  appeal hearings, just be their usual selves.  Of course, the same applies to assessments.

Do people really want to risk losing points by giving the wrong impression that they have no problems with grooming when in fact they have?  Because assessors look for any excuse not to recommend points.

I suspect that the reason many people are surprised to be awarded less points than they deserve is because they present themselves as not disabled, though in fact they are; and overestimate what they are able to do, out of pride.

Assessors and tribunals are very influenced by what they can actually see for themselves.

• wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,314 Pioneering
    @ellenlow17 I agree with everyone. I was described as well kempt  even in my everyday clothes. Be aware of fastenings on clothing and make it clear you had help to  dress if you did. I too think appearance shouldn't come into it at all they should listen to what you tell them and read all the evidence to make decisions. Any comments about personal appearance in my opinion is a violation of our human rights. You wouldn't accept this in any other situation in life so why is it acceptable for PIP. It also contravenes their customer charter about treating people with respect. Sorry but that's how I feel. Other comments I had on my report included "normal complexion" (I was deathly pale) "didn't look tired" (I was very tired) "didn't appear anxious or agitated" (not true I was both). Do hope you get an honest assessor.
  • janice_in_wonderlandjanice_in_wonderland Member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Hi everyone 
    I once attended a mental health appt wearing make up - he knew I was hiding my sorrows back then 

25 years later I seldom wear make up 

I haven't washed my hair for 2 weeks yet I look & sound ok but I'm constantly battling with feeling unstable 

assessors probably judge ppl for acting worse 

its frustrating having invisible illnesses as I feel old before my time 

There's no easy answer really is there? Unfortunately  though assumptions are sadly being made by the very people DWP and ATOS etc) who are privy to our most intimate details because a person may look groomed.

A lady I grew up with is severely affected by spina bifida,but is the most lovely,positive person I have ever met and always wears makeup and has her hair done as it improves her sense of wellbeing.She is in her fifties now.

My son had no hair on his head by 19 so took the decision to shave it and grow a beard for least maintenance. This is carried out by family members.

What I mean is it has nothing to do with age it's personal choice.

Others with a disability who may have worked all their lives and need the lift of at least being able to turn out looking well kempt aren't asked by society how long it took or who helped them and as I say if medical reports are provided to the HCA to prove help needed why is it deemed necessary to have to dress in a perceived way sadly...

I admire David Blunkett who always wore a suit and was well groomed but you were able to easily see his disability,why should it really be any different for people when they have a hidden one?

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Everyone makes assumptions based on first impressions. When we were young and looking for love, didn't we dress to impress ? When we were able to look for jobs we dressed approprately. When we look at other people we do make assumptions, we look at people parking in BB spaces and make judgements without knowing any more than what we see. Assessors are people and will do the same, they make a first impression call on how you walk and dress. You do not have to impress an assessor, it is not a date or a job interview but you do have to be confident and comfortable. Don't dress down, it will not feel right to you. If you have a favorite outfit, that make you feel good, whether it is an old sweatshirt and jeans or a smart suit, then that is right for you.
    Wear what is comfortable and empowers you the most to be confident.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    It all depends on what your disabilities are that  affects on your ability to be well dressed and groomed, if you can look your best at all, and think your entitled to pip by all means do!  this is why I said it's not a job interview...Yes some  ppl that truly have a disability can groom to their best ability.. but if you say your in your pj's most times and casualy dressed., why would you want to go in your best outfit and your lovely hair doo, just to be turned down your pip application. Go has you and not somebody else..my mum is in her 40s she was the most stunning looking woman 2 years ago now she looks like my grandma I need to tell her she needs her hair brushing otherwise the thought wouldn't and doesn't enter her in her mind.. My mums going to look how she looks everyday with dribbles of food down her clothing where she's missed her mouth because of her herondous hand shaking her long  toenails are long enough to make her trip because she won't let a chiropodist through the door... This is how my mums going to look when she has her assessment at home (HERSELF) all I am saying is be yourself how you are most of the time.. If you have good supporting evidence then don't worry has much has to  what best outfit to wear on your assessment.  again Good luck

@Budgie2 When is your Mum's assessment due? It's horrible waiting isn't it...

Best of luck and hope it goes well for you,as her appointee make sure you have ID ready for yourself too I completely forgot as I was in such a flap !

My assesement was cancelled last monday due to the snow still not heard of when my new assesement will be i hope its before christmas so i can get it out of the way

@freckles what a nightmare. It's awful all the waiting isn't it.They do seem to be cracking through the backlogs a bit now at least but I don't know wether that's a good thing or not!

Hope all goes well for you when you finally get there :)

Thankyou rosiesmum 
    @Rosiesmum hi rosiesmum she first got an assessment at a building centre..I rang them and said she can't attend they cancelled her appointment straightaway then approved an home visit they then contacted mums doctor which they have now received. I rang the otherday and they said they are just waiting for an assessor in her area... Then she said if we get any cancellations will mum be available anytime... But during them contacting mums doctor they also said in a letter they may not need to see her but this was before they mentioned the if she would be available to  have  cancellation,  so we just don't know which it's going to be f2f/ paperbased... My mum isn't so stressed about the whole thing because her state of mind doesn't register has to how this is going to affect her.. I'm stressed more I just want it done and dusted like everybody else... Thankyou for the advice on my ID I didn't know this 
    freckles said:
    My assesement was cancelled last monday due to the snow still not heard of when my new assesement will be i hope its before christmas so i can get it out of the way
    Hope it's soon for you and my mum good Luck.
    It’s dreadful leading up to the assessment then they cancel you and you’ve it all to go through again. I hope your appointment comes soon and you get through it all well x

@Budgie2 I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your Mum.Are you OK with short notice? We literally got the letter Friday to let us know they were coming on the Monday.In a way it was better as by then my nerves were shredded already hence the flapping!

My autistic son had his done on paper,consisted of a quick call from DM with a couple of questions and done and dusted in 11 days flat.

I think the real horror stories are getting less now so hopefully the people who need it the most do eventually get it..not ideal but I'm always positive :)

I hope all those attending/having their assessments over the Xmas period especially still manage to have a lovely Christmas,and I wish you the very best of luck.

I appreciate it's such a difficult time of year for people with additional needs as it is as everything grinds to a halt.

Onwards and upwards as they say XXX

Rosiesmum said:

@Budgie2 I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and your Mum.Are you OK with short notice? We literally got the letter Friday to let us know they were coming on the Monday.In a way it was better as by then my nerves were shredded already hence the flapping!

My autistic son had his done on paper,consisted of a quick call from DM with a couple of questions and done and dusted in 11 days flat.

I think the real horror stories are getting less now so hopefully the people who need it the most do eventually get it..not ideal but I'm always positive :)

I hope all those attending/having their assessments over the Xmas period especially still manage to have a lovely Christmas,and I wish you the very best of luck.

I appreciate it's such a difficult time of year for people with additional needs as it is as everything grinds to a halt.

Thankyou so much for your kind words I hope so..  I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas and Happy new year x
    Budgie2 said:
    Rosiesmum said:

Thankyou so much for your kind words I hope so..  I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas and Happy new year x
    And yes she is always available doesn't go out not even to the garden for fresh air withering away in her bedroom so sad I love her so much x
    There is a piece in the independant it quotes GOVERMENT,S NEW BENIFIT SYSTEM WRONGLY DENIES DISABLED PEOPLE SUPPORT AT HIGHER RATE THAN EVER!!!!!! it shows how bad the DWP are at lieng at there statistics to cover up there vast mistakes or should i say lies in PIP assesements to which people are going to tribunials and winning there cases 

Thanks @freckles I hadn't read that I'll take a look.

I am only speaking from the people I know personally,through support groups/carers centre and special school and have to say my son is the only one who has had this difficulty but then he is the only one working so wether that has anything to do with it who knows..

I hope that the fact so many are winning at appeal shows the system gets it right in the end but that is no solace to people who have genuine disabilities who may be cold and hungry and penniless as a result.

As @wildlife said earlier on there is sadly no easy answer and I do think the system needed overhauling BUT as I said in another thread if we must play by the rules so must they.

I'm still thinking positive and sending a big hug to @Budgie2 XX

Well that’s my meeting done for assessment!  Wasn’t too bad really....loads of questions with the answers all entered to a computer , a cognitive test and some movement in my legs and arms but told not to do anything that hurt.  Fingers crossed! 

Oh that's great news @ellenlow17 I'll keep everything crossed for you ! Gets it out of the way at least in time for you to enjoy Christmas.

We could tell at the time with the ladies attitude as soon as she walked in we were in trouble..The  assessments I have attended with others who have had a good result ,their HCP's had a really positive attitude.Sounds similar to yours so hoping for you that's a good sign that they are sorting things out a bit at least.

Do keep us posted ,get into your comfy togs and have a lovely Xmas XX

Thanks very much.  Hope you have a lovely xmas too 
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ellenlow17 Hope assessment goes ok and best wishes.  Reading what everbody says.  The point is that how you feel and should dress what makes you comfortable.  I have done a few of these assessments and it is never easy.  I know at the last one I had struggled to get there.  Map says 15 minutes to centre more like 40 minutes.  So I advise plenty of time.  Talking about appearance I put have a problem doing up zips and buttons.  Wears Tshirts and has shirts already button up just last few not button up so I pull it over my head.  The assessor did notice this as it was on my form.  Got a shirt on today I noticed she said.  I told her as I have explained.  I hope you have some support that is the other vital thing .  Usually someone who knows you well.  Last time support worker.  Another time a friend.  Someone who can speak for you.  I hope every thing goes well Take care.  You have a lot of support on this community and been given a lot of advice
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
    Thank you. Hope you have a lovely Christmas 
    Just got my new pip assesement through today 3rd january
    Hi @freckles that's really good news at least it's soon so it will be over and done with! Best of luck I'll be thinking of you that day and let us know how it went :)
    freckles said:
    Just got my new pip assesement through today 3rd january
    Great hope it's going to be a good new year for you 
    Thankyou rosiesmum i will let you no how it goes i,ve got all my medical reports to take with me
    @freckles....hi did you get the home visit? 

@Budgie2 Hiya have you heard anything about your Mum's yet? Hope all is well with you :)

@freckles that's great and don't forget to have a quick look through the descriptors again before you go so you're as prepared as you can be :)

No home visit capita said they would try but we all no what there trying is!!!!!!! I,m taking my partner with me as she is my carer so will be taking all reports from phychatrist and my lung chest consultant (thoratic medicine) CT scan results my consultant said there have been changes in my lung condition unfortunatly its not good
    Oh not good for you then more health worries... Hope all goes good for you and nothing spoils yr Christmas. 
    Thankyou they don,t realise the stress it causes
    @Rosiesmum....no nothing still saying down for a cancellation but still waiting for someone in her area....I think myself none of them I think they will do a paper based myself... I don't know why I think that but I hope I'm wrong. Merry Christmas x
    freckles said:
    Thankyou they don,t realise the stress it causes
    So true merry Christmas 
    Merry christmas
  • sue66sue66 Member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Matilda said:
    @ellenlow17

Do not dress up.  Let the assessor see you as you usually are.  Dressed up people can appear to be less disabled than they are - and assessors are very influenced by what they can see.  Assessors comment in their reports on the appearance of their interviewees and descriptions of a well-groomed appearance do not count in the interviewees' favour at the DWP.
    Hi Matilda, been reading about this appearance dilemma, mmmm whats it coming too when us ladies have to turn up with no make up on to convince them we have a real illness. I may have M.E. but ive always managed to put on my makeup and do my hair in a pony tail even if it does make my arms ache. I feel naked without makeup and i feel better within myself mentally wearing it. Ive read else where they dont count not being able to do house work. it gives no points.  Im fed up with pressure from my relatives saying youve got to apply for PiP   when  the forms come in.. There are many far worse than me being turned down with 0-3 points so im seriously considering not applying at all. one usually only gets it for 3 years anyways  then get another form in after 2 yrs to apply all over again. sorry i know ive gone a bit of subject hear but i needed to say this lol.  
    @sue66

The thing is, for PIP it's not enough to be disabled (medical evidence), but you also have to be seen to be disabled!

I think that often people don't get points because they think that medical evidence is enough. Often it isn't because you get points not for your conditions themselves but for how they affect your daily living and mobility.

You have to make a strong argument for how your disabilities meet various descriptors.  And provide what evidence you can - for example use of disability aids is good evidence and should get you some points.

Disability Rights (DR) site has a good guide to claiming PIP and they also publish a benefits Handbook, priced £15 from their site.

DR have a draft diary on their site that people can adapt.  It is a good idea to include a 7 day diary with your application, listing all the aids you use.  With a diary, the assessor can see exactly how your disability affects you on a day to day basis.

My 7 day diary went a long way to getting me 11 points daily living and 10 points mobility after assessment, and then 13 points daily living and 12 points mobility after tribunal hearing.

It's such a shame isn't it I know the effort many people have to put in just to brush their teeth even but there are so many forms of disabilities aren't there and  what can affect one person even with the same disability may be completely different to how another person is affected.

The functionality and descriptors are skewed and need to be improved but in the meantime if the assessor wrote a full answer as to how the client meets or doesn't meet them that would help the DWP to get a much clearer picture of daily life.

This is obviously NOT being done on so many assessments as @Matilda points out it's an excellent idea to put a diary in writing with your application I will use that advice next time thankyou.

@sue66 it's very much luck of the draw sadly regarding assessments I would have given my eye teeth for a paramedic we had a mental health nurse and speech and language therapist for a physical and heart problem and others would have loved our mental health assessor ...well maybe not our one for obvious reasons lol

Rosiesmum I understand where your coming from,in other words the right qualified assessor needs to be matched to the medical problem, would makes things simper wouldn't it lol 
    :D  @sue66 Yup indeed it would but then that would make sense and that seems to be one thing they are short of at present!
    @Matilda hi how do i do the 7 day diary for my mum? ...you mean about what the person is like everyday .
    @Budgie2

Have a look at the draft diary on the Disability Rights site, PIP section, which will show you what to do.  Make sure you list all the aids your mum uses.
    edited December 2017
    @Matilda Yes thankyou il look .Merry Christmas. 
    Merry Christmas to you, too, @Budgie2.
    @Budgie2

The diary is for details of daily living and mobility difficulties.  Disability Rights site sets out the draft diary in table form - time bands (8am-12 Noon, etc) along the top, with activities (e.g. bathing, etc) down left-hand side.
    @Matilda hi sorry I Carnt find it can you send me a link please if you gave one .
    Merry christmas two everyone and hope 2018 will be better for us all
    Merry Christmas, @freckles.  And a good 2018.
    Merry Christmas everyone. Hope 2018 is a happy and healthier year for all of us x
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, @ellenlow17.
    Got pip assesement on wed 3rd january i hope its going to be a good start to the new year
    The very best of luck with your assessment . Please do let us know how it goes

CR
    Yeah hoping it goes well just been diagnosed with autism as well as ipf 
    I would say that I am sorry to here that you have now been diagnosed with autism but since joining this forum I have learned a lot from the fantastic members here and to some it seems to be a special gift.
    As with all things in life, it is up to us to make the best we can for ourselves

CR
    Hope assessment is in your favour @freckles

and to everyone else still fighting their battles 
    Thankyou happy new year

@freckles hoping everything wasn't too stressful for you today XX

@Budgie2 I saw you finally got the date for your Mum keeping everything crossed for you too XX

@Rosiesmum Thankyou so much yes finally x
    Had my pip assesement yesterday and i was having a coughing fit the woman stop the assesement to get me a glass of water 
    @freckles hi how long did it last if you don't me asking 
    I don't trust them even if they're nice - v few are empaths from observation
    It lasted about an hour yes even though she got me some water i could,nt help but think she was the smiling assasin i took with me more evidence from my phychatrist she took some notes of it and then got me an envolope to post my evidence to the dwp i did that as soon as i got home me and my partner took all our evidence with us even letters/appointment letters and results letters from my lung consultant its a guessing game we dont no what she typed in her computer and me and my partner dont no what the dwp decision maker will decide i,ve already started thinking about the appeal process
    Thankyou for that info just helped a lot If just collected my mum's care plan fror mental health  now I know to post  a copy to DWP thankyou and i wish you the best of luck @freckles you can now ring them and ask for a copy of what your assessor said and hopefully it will give you an idea of what could be the result .again good luck.
    Yes the assessor told me about the letters i sent to the dwp my partner asked her why  had i been called for an early assesement as my pip was given to me till sept 2018 she said the dwp have been doing a lot of that lately and she could,nt understand why but said she would look into it bit late for me now though like i said you can have as much evidence as you want but it depends whether the assessor puts the truth down or if the dwp decision maker is in a good mood 
    I think enough paper evidence i.e. doctors letters consultants letters phychatric letters and all other medical evidence should surfice the dwp instead of wasting money having these assesements its like your telling your whole medical history to a complete stranger
    I got fed up going over my disabilities five times:  PIP claim form, f2f, MR request, appeal form, tribunal hearing.
    @Matilda
    Do you mean 5 times you applied
    Hello Everybody I have been reading all your posts.  I hope assessments went well.  One of the big issues especially with myself and my own health history.  Since claiming benefits I got letters from DWP constantly on and off since 1995 which I first claimed for.  Then I would get reviewed all the time. nearly every 18 months.  The anxiety and the rest of my mental state would be in a flux because you would be told fit to work.  Another appeal then unfit to work.  The roundabout continued till last year.  Some times I be on a benefit for most I believe is about 2 years then the fear of a phone call and the forms.  Only last year went to assessment with support worker and the charity did not realise this was continuing all the time.  I am and thought every body went through this.  Not until I was talking to people I had met on various course and forums.  There is some thing wrong with the system where you know in your self you are yes disabled and mentally ill.  Yet the medical profession and the DWP. JSA keep thinking you are in their eyes fit.  I do believe a long time ago there is a conspiracy around people like myself and others.  Time and money wasted trying to get me into employment wasted.  My fear is that now continuing assessment into late fifties and early sixties.  As this has been going on too long.  My fantastic support worker at the time sent a letter in stating the facts.  Why are you reviewing, assessing this gentleman when you know and he knows himself he will never to work.  Not because he wants he did at one time but now he is being eroded by this system of failure and constantly effecting mental health.  This does not mean to be frightening but you must understand every body you can be assessed anytime.  Just because you may have won today does not mean you will win tomorrow.  I apologise for being abrupt.  Five times is nothing.  One hopes and prays for you all.  Lovely to talk to you all.  That is why I send messages of support for those who succeed in getting the right amount and getting somewhere.  I do hope you all understand my worries.  Thank you all take care
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    Well said, as you say because you won today doesn't mean you will tomorrow. I agree its pointless making people go through this who clearly have illnesses whether mental or physical having to keep going through seeing different assessors every 3 yrs or less that are never going to improve. Theresa May so i was told actually said this her self so who's not listening and acting on this ? The thought of having to be re assessed until one reaches retirement age when they cant make you go on JSA is dreadful.  At least us who are over 65 haven't this threat over us and have our state pension to survive on though those losing their mobility cars for many is leaving them housebound and having to give up their own means of carrying on with their life losing their cars.
    Yes thespiceman we def understand your worries.  
    edited January 2018
    @janice_in_wonderland

No, five times during one PIP application process, from claim form to appeal hearing.   Having to go over the some material five times for one application, until finally I won my appeal.
    Hello @Matlida Congratulations on winning your appeal.  I understand it must have been annoying for you to go over medical history and the rest.  I have had similar as I said this morning.  I got to one appeal got so sick of it constantly repeating the same length of  time wasting saying the same stuff.   I wrote all out and photocopied it when asked gave them a copy .  Please can you read this.  What you say they argue but I stuck to my principles and told them easy for you to see written down, can not talk not very good.  Which is true.  Plus I had written it out not typed.  Points against me Oh you can type, fit to work.  Which has happened in the early days of assessments.  In those early days would check that you are on Facebook.  Although now I say use computer for interacting with people.  Find social situations hard and difficult.  Can set of anxiety which is true.  More acceptance now.  Use to keep in touch.  Won that appeal.  So as I say best wishes and hope things work out.  By way my story is not the exception but coming very common now.  This government making mockery of it all now. That is the big problems coming around the corner  Such as the PIP and the loss of peoples motobility. I hope to speak to you soon.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    edited January 2018
    Majority are having to go through the 5 stages and no guarantees they will be awarded any at all so well done to those who qualify but it doesnt end there as the same process may have to be repeated several times unless it's indefinite 
    edited January 2018
    @thespiceman

Thank you.  PIP is a test of stamina and nerve; the DWP hope most people won't stay the course, and some don't.  Many times before the hearing I thought of withdrawing my appeal, right up until the day before, because the whole process was just so stressful,  I'm pleased I didn't give up because the tribunal awarded me enhanced both elements, up from standard both elements.
    @Matilda

Well done for going ahead and succeeding 
    Hello @Matlida Thank you for reply.  You should never give up in your battle to get what you need and require.  This is the problem with the process.  Make it so hard that you have to give up.  Trust me bet you are glad to get what you got now.  I had these appeals so many as I said that I have to know if I went and said my piece.  Then is one nil to me not them. The energy spent and the agony is exhausting and tiring but if you succeed great.   Hope to speak to you soon take care
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    I haven't been through PIP yet so cannot comment on it other than what is general knowledge. To get DLA I had to apply 3 times spread over 4 years. Each time I had to go to appeal and the last time got the appeal result thrown out and got a fourth appeal. Finally I was given what I believe to be the correct award. However, as it at that point expected me to go through PIP soon after, was only given a 2 year award. I had to go through another assessment 2 years later which, due to the mess PIP was in, was made indefinite. I have heard nothing since but I think all the rest of the benefits I got was based on the award.

As far as the constant bothering people goes. I suspect that it depends on why and what the award was given for. A lot of conditions can improve over time, especially MH ones. So I figure that these conditions are checked on as they may have improved. Whilst mine was difficult to get because it is unique it is also unable to change except to get worse. So, once I had finally made them understand, they know that they only thing that might happen if they reassess is that the award might increase, so they leave me well alone.

This is only a theory but it seems to fit most of the stories.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
    Hi @Topkitten

well done persevering & successful result 

My Tribunal is at the end o for the month - I'm going in with your determination too 

thank you for sharing 

happy new year! 
Sign in or join us to comment.