Appearance - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appearance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 215 Listener
    @freckles....hi did you get the home visit? 
  • Rosiesmum
    Rosiesmum Community member Posts: 75 Connected

@Budgie2 Hiya have you heard anything about your Mum's yet? Hope all is well with you :)

@freckles that's great and don't forget to have a quick look through the descriptors again before you go so you're as prepared as you can be :)

• freckles
    freckles Community member Posts: 258 Pioneering
    No home visit capita said they would try but we all no what there trying is!!!!!!! I,m taking my partner with me as she is my carer so will be taking all reports from phychatrist and my lung chest consultant (thoratic medicine) CT scan results my consultant said there have been changes in my lung condition unfortunatly its not good
  • [Deleted User]
    Oh not good for you then more health worries... Hope all goes good for you and nothing spoils yr Christmas. 
  • freckles
    Thankyou they don,t realise the stress it causes
  • [Deleted User]
    @Rosiesmum....no nothing still saying down for a cancellation but still waiting for someone in her area....I think myself none of them I think they will do a paper based myself... I don't know why I think that but I hope I'm wrong. Merry Christmas x
  • [Deleted User]
    freckles said:
    Thankyou they don,t realise the stress it causes
    So true merry Christmas 
  • freckles
    Merry christmas
  • sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Matilda said:
    @ellenlow17

Do not dress up.  Let the assessor see you as you usually are.  Dressed up people can appear to be less disabled than they are - and assessors are very influenced by what they can see.  Assessors comment in their reports on the appearance of their interviewees and descriptions of a well-groomed appearance do not count in the interviewees' favour at the DWP.
    Hi Matilda, been reading about this appearance dilemma, mmmm whats it coming too when us ladies have to turn up with no make up on to convince them we have a real illness. I may have M.E. but ive always managed to put on my makeup and do my hair in a pony tail even if it does make my arms ache. I feel naked without makeup and i feel better within myself mentally wearing it. Ive read else where they dont count not being able to do house work. it gives no points.  Im fed up with pressure from my relatives saying youve got to apply for PiP   when  the forms come in.. There are many far worse than me being turned down with 0-3 points so im seriously considering not applying at all. one usually only gets it for 3 years anyways  then get another form in after 2 yrs to apply all over again. sorry i know ive gone a bit of subject hear but i needed to say this lol.  
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @sue66

The thing is, for PIP it's not enough to be disabled (medical evidence), but you also have to be seen to be disabled!

I think that often people don't get points because they think that medical evidence is enough. Often it isn't because you get points not for your conditions themselves but for how they affect your daily living and mobility.

You have to make a strong argument for how your disabilities meet various descriptors.  And provide what evidence you can - for example use of disability aids is good evidence and should get you some points.

Disability Rights (DR) site has a good guide to claiming PIP and they also publish a benefits Handbook, priced £15 from their site.

DR have a draft diary on their site that people can adapt.  It is a good idea to include a 7 day diary with your application, listing all the aids you use.  With a diary, the assessor can see exactly how your disability affects you on a day to day basis.

My 7 day diary went a long way to getting me 11 points daily living and 10 points mobility after assessment, and then 13 points daily living and 12 points mobility after tribunal hearing.
  • Rosiesmum

It's such a shame isn't it I know the effort many people have to put in just to brush their teeth even but there are so many forms of disabilities aren't there and  what can affect one person even with the same disability may be completely different to how another person is affected.

The functionality and descriptors are skewed and need to be improved but in the meantime if the assessor wrote a full answer as to how the client meets or doesn't meet them that would help the DWP to get a much clearer picture of daily life.

This is obviously NOT being done on so many assessments as @Matilda points out it's an excellent idea to put a diary in writing with your application I will use that advice next time thankyou.

@sue66 it's very much luck of the draw sadly regarding assessments I would have given my eye teeth for a paramedic we had a mental health nurse and speech and language therapist for a physical and heart problem and others would have loved our mental health assessor ...well maybe not our one for obvious reasons lol

• sue66
    sue66 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Rosiesmum I understand where your coming from,in other words the right qualified assessor needs to be matched to the medical problem, would makes things simper wouldn't it lol 
  • Rosiesmum
    :D  @sue66 Yup indeed it would but then that would make sense and that seems to be one thing they are short of at present!
  • [Deleted User]
    @Matilda hi how do i do the 7 day diary for my mum? ...you mean about what the person is like everyday .
  • Matilda
    @Budgie2

Have a look at the draft diary on the Disability Rights site, PIP section, which will show you what to do.  Make sure you list all the aids your mum uses.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2017
    @Matilda Yes thankyou il look .Merry Christmas. 
  • Matilda
    Merry Christmas to you, too, @Budgie2.
  • Matilda
    @Budgie2

The diary is for details of daily living and mobility difficulties.  Disability Rights site sets out the draft diary in table form - time bands (8am-12 Noon, etc) along the top, with activities (e.g. bathing, etc) down left-hand side.
  • [Deleted User]
    @Matilda hi sorry I Carnt find it can you send me a link please if you gave one .
  • Matilda

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.