PIP assessment report and Decision makers conclusion - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment report and Decision makers conclusion

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @alisha22 Yes they are supposed to review all your evidence for MR not just any new stuff you send. My claim was changed at MR using original evidence the assessor should have used in the beginning. Saying that no-one can say what they will actually use. If they used all evidence properly there would be more correct claims and less need for MR and Appeals. Hope yours is done properly at this stage..
  • alisha22
    alisha22 Community member Posts: 320 Pioneering
    Thank you for your best wishes. I too hope they look properly at the evidence but people have said they usually go with the original decision set by the assessor, but will see. Hope they still have all my letters and not lost them or I'm I heard somewhere that the dwp only keep them for a short time.
  • alisha22
    When I first applied for pip my father who cares for me sent my documents, he forgot to photocopy them and sent the originals, I rang dwp 2 days ago requesting for the originals to be sent back in was told once they scanned or something they are gone and he apologised for this. I find this a bit strange.
  • wildlife
    @alisha22 You could make a "Subject Access Request" for copies of all your paperwork including screen shots and archived stuff to be sent to you. This is useful if only to get extra copies you haven't paid for to use for reviews, Appeal, keep for yourself etc. You will get info. you wouldn't see any other way. You can ring ICO for advice how to do this or check out their website. This action is completely separate to your claim and won't affect it at all.   
  • alisha22
    OK fantastic I will request my copies etc as that would help.
  • wildlife
    @alisha22 I did this by emailing IAS to ask for a "Subject Access Request". They forwarded it to DWP but I think they supplied some data themselves. Then just under 40 days later, which I counted on the calendar, I was sent a big pile of paperwork from DWP which included everything connected to my PIP claim and DLA claim as well which was in 2010. Very easy to do and they have to comply by law. Good Luck with your MR. I do wish claimants were given more encouragement to succeed at MR rather than being told they have little chance which is bound to affect their morale and how much effort they make to achieve a turn around. I know there are statistics but they are less likely to change if they're quoted at every available opportunity. Just my opinion but I did get my mobility changed from standard to higher rate and if it had been up to the DM alone the Daily Living would have been raised too. That was after my MR. It was the poor/dishonest assessment report I had which was then backed up by 2 further HP's that made the DM keep my DL the same. Good Luck with your MR. Forget statistics, be determined even if the MR is kept the same your claim can be changed anytime in between MR and Appeal but you have to be proactive. Sitting back and accepting that nothing more can be done will not get you any more points. The more you get even if you still have to go to Appeal the less the Tribunal need to give to get you the award you are entited to.        
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    There is no point holding anything back for tribunal, you should send any evidence you can to make your strongest case. The only additional evidence for tribunal is if you cannot get it in time for MR. Often it is not the lack of evidence but the way it is read ( or not )

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • alisha22
    Thank you all for the best wish. You have given me more confidence to carry on as I felt so drained and reading all the unsuccessful stories put me off, now listening to you guys gives me more strength. Thank you.
  • alisha22
    If I email IAS, what do I put and what is the full email for IAS please.
  • alisha22
    Is there a charge for subject access request. Sorry for the mad questions, I'm just new to all this lark.
  • wildlife
    @alisha22 No there's no charge. I've had a look for an email address. You could try 
    PIP-customerservice@atos.net  That's the address I used but don't know if there's a new address. Let me know if it is recieved by them. You just say you wish to make a Subject Access Request for all your documents concerning your benefits. That's all.   
  • alisha22
    Hiya sorry for silly questions but if my assessment was capita do I email them.
  • wildlife
    @alisha22 Oh sorry I thought it was ATOS. Yes try sending it to: contactus@capitapip.co.uk 
  • alisha22
    Thank you wildlife.
  • alisha22
    Emailed capita requested my documents, just got a reply saying someone will contact me in two working days.
  • wildlife
    @alisha22 That is probably a standard reply just to acknowledge they've got your email. Let's see what happens. I counted 40 days on my calendar and made a note because that's how long they've got to get everything together and send it to you. The 40 days is straight days not working days so easy to count. 
  • alisha22
    Oh ok I will count also, so basically they contact you via email and send documents through the post then.
  • Rosiesmum
    Rosiesmum Community member Posts: 75 Connected

Hi @alisha22 I have sent mine off also but to IAS on the 22nd December (subject Access Request) but have yet to even get an acknowledgement so do keep us posted it'll be interesting to compare notes on how the two different firms treat the same request!

My friend brought over her copy of the Disability Rights Handbook so that is my current  bedtime reading and I did send an email to the ministers at the DWP about standard of assessments in general so will update here if they just fob me off or actually send a reply,not holding my breath.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    alisha22,

The DWP have recently said that they've dropped their target of refusing 80% of Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) requests, so as Mike says, there is no quick fix  - we don't really know yet, but it's possible MRs may start to be successful for claimants more often (I certainly hope so). My advice would to provide what you can at this stage. Explain what points you think you should have got, and why. If you know you won't get some medical evidence until later, it may still be worth getting your MR in within the month if you can. A quick MR turnaround means you can lodge your appeal and get into the queue! As Mike says, there is a big appeal backlog.

Wildlife, Rosiesmum and others may be interested in this - I'm still not sure exactly what the court claim was for, but it seems the claimant here successfully showed that ATOS were responsible for the harm she suffered as her health deteriorated after the assessment process. If that's correct, that claimant is far from alone in experiencing a deterioration in those circumstances.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Rosiesmum
    Rosiesmum Community member Posts: 75 Connected
    Thanks Will,yes I have seen that it's partly the reason I'm complaining for my son.If we hadn't had a plan B ,due to the issues caused by such a untruthful assessment,it could have cost him his job as well as his health.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.