Depression, Sleep and Memory Problems — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Depression, Sleep and Memory Problems

Jazzguitar
Jazzguitar Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
I am a 63 years old male in Whitleigh Plymouth Devon. How and where can I get help? Neville Pearson email 

Comments

• bevt2017
    bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Hi @Jazzguitar
    Im so sorry your having a hard time.
    Have you seen your doctor, about finding some help?
    If not you really need to make an appointment a.s.a.p.
    They can also refer you, for councilling.
    I hope that helps
    All the best
    Bev
  • Jazzguitar
    Thank you Bev. I will. Neville
  • bevt2017

please let us know how you get on
    Bev
  • Jazzguitar
    Thank you. I am very depressed and I can't sleep. Neville Pearson
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2018
    Hi @Jazzguitar, have you managed to speak to a GP yet? This would be advisable, as they are in the best position to refer you on to the most appropriate course of treatment.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 740 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jazzguitar
    Thank you all. I still can't sleep and I am depressed. 
  • bevt2017
     @Jazzguitar
    Hi neville
    Did you manage to see your GP?
    I know myself it's hard to open up to people. But I do recomend that you talk to someone. 
    My doctor helped Me, and I'm getting a lot of support.
    Please let me know how your doing?
    Bev 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Jazzguitar Please can I advise that as we get older there are problems getting a good night sleep.  I suffer as you do from and I wish I could say it is easy to a solution.  I got effected by my lifestyle  when I was a young lad.  So I had to do something about this.  I was what they call a numbartal which means my nights were days and my days were nights.  Ended up sleep walking as well this all because of addiction history.  So I went to doctors for support but having mental health issues.  Having adjusted my meds and looked at diet and checking up with GP any other issues.  It is natural for all of us to think eight Hours is the norm.  Being around six to seven for your self and we get older even less.  It ha s taken me about twenty plus years to get a good bed time routine.  Look on the web for advice please I am worried not because I care because sleep is vital to the workings of the body.  I am sure speaking to SCOPE or speaking to someone like the Sleep Council or other organisations they can help.  I hope you get the help you need please take care.  Remember you are the one that can do this and it will take time please be patient.  I will and do understand what you are going through from a friend so do people from this community.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Hi @Jazzguitar

As well as the suggestions above, have you tried your local Disabled People's organisation in Plymouth? They have a wide range of services and may be able to help. Best wishes, Alex
  • Jazzguitar
    Thank you. I will try that. Neville  in Plymouth Devon 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Jazzguitar How are you?  I hope you are feeling better.  Finding solutions to sleep problems you have.  I hope everything is working out.  Take care
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • bevvyp
    bevvyp Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    Hello @jazzguitar I hope you went to the docs ? X my best support for my depression is on here, I was suicidal in august, still so but not so much so_ if that's understandable x depression is all encompassing and takes an awful lot to get on top of so don't rush and be kind to yourself xx good luck
  • Jazzguitar
    Thank you for your replies. I will try my GP again. MAybe he will refer me to The Memory Clinic in Plymouth Devon? He will not prescribe sleeping tablets. I ride 6 miles a day on my push bike, but still I am not sleepy when I get home. Best wishes from Neville in Plymouth Devon
  • bevvyp
    bevvyp Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    edited February 2018
    @Jazzguitar    I've not been able to sleep for more than an hour or two at a time for 5 months due to horrendous grief, my doc gave me 14 sleeping pills but they don't keep you asleep, just send you off but I kept waking up after 4 or so hrs asleep and then awake and fuzzy, if you're brain won't slow down try counting you're breathing, that sometimes bores me to sleep for a while x good luck
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Breath counting can be very effective. As a refinement to just counting try counting in breath for a count of 5 ( or what ever level is comfortable for you ), as you count, feel your breath entering and slowly filling your lungs. Hold your breath for a similar count, then exhale, feeling your lungs deflate and the air leaving for a similar count. Count again before you restart the cycle.
    You will have to adjust the count to your own need so it could be in 5, hold 3, out 5, hold 3. a little practice will soon find your level

CR  
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Jazzguitar Hope you get sorted.  Noticing what you said you ride six miles a day.  Still do feel tired or sleepy.  This is a rock and a hard place damn if you do damn if you don't.  I found out exercising in towards evening does not work.  I have tried.  I used to go to gym about afternoon not evening.  Had to knock it on the head because after exercise.  You need to wind down relax take bath or shower then food to get energy levels up.  Advice I was given eat pasta, rice, lentils wholegrain with protein like chicken, fish or turkey.  Not too near set bed time like before you got to sleep.  I learnt nothing too spicy or heavy.  If you start thinking about sleep brain will not switch off.  You do need to have a set routine sorry that is the only way to sleep.  Take now be on here now.  My routine is had evening meal lots of vegetables and little meat plus pulses.  Heating go off at 8pm.  Now room will cool down.   Then hot milk and toast and honey, wholemeal.  Turn off all devices like this well before bedtime.  I aim around 9pm and 10 pm.  All plugs and TV turned off.  Except will play soothing music if I have to.  Sit about just relax heavy breathing.  Then go to bed.  I will admit this is practice.  Taken me around 10years or more.  Although I will get up if I can not drop off and wander around house.  Put something boring on TV that helps or just sit till I feel tired.  I am sorry I am not preaching here but I am and do understand the issues.  Best wishes and take care.  Winding down now.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Exercise releases adrenalin and endorphins both of which will make you less likely to fall asleep. You need to do something relaxing before sleep, something like reading. As for turning everything off..... I don't personally think it makes a difference. If I am tired enough I will fall asleep even on here (which I did about an hour ago). I sleep better and longer in my chair with the TV on than I do in bed with the radio on. If I try turning everything off I just lay there, eyes closed, for hours.

I have found that relaxation techniques work quite well but I have never been able to try them at home. I find it difficult to set everything up without starting to worry about sleep.

As @thespiceman said, routine helps because the mind doesn't get active trying to decide what to do next and will remain in neutral.

The first place to start though is to stop worrying about it because that is the worst thing you can do.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Jazzguitar
    Great advice from all of you. Thank you so much. Neville
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Jazzguitar Thank you for comments.  Please can I say wish you the best in getting a good night sleep.  I know you will succeed.  Please can I also suggest have a look around your area.  For courses on Sleep and Well being and the rest.  I started doing this during my addiction withdrawal.  I met so many people like yourself.  All had similar stories to share.  I am same as you and do understand the issues.  Since doing these courses got good insight into how body works.  I wonder contacting SCOPE helpline advisors could be another solution.  I am hope and pray best for New Year Nice to talk to you best wishes.
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness