HELP ME PLEASE — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

HELP ME PLEASE

Natalie29190
Natalie29190 Community member Posts: 24 Listener
I am 27 years old and a dwarf, i stand at 4ft5.

I have been wanting to drive for so long but i know it is not going to be as easy as it will be for everyone else.

I am in receipt of standard daily living PIP and that is all.

I have had a driving assessment in August with QEF in Carshalton, i drove a car which was fully adapted and it was amazing...

I have looked around to see if there is any driving instructors that are able to teach me and their are none  the route i have to go down is to buy an automatic car and have pedal extensions and a duel brake fitted so i can take driving lessons in that car and eventually do my driving test, Problem with that is it will set me back over £6000 just to have a car to be able to start to do driving lessons.

That is a lot of money.

Does anyone know of anyone who can advise me or anyone know anyone who has a specially adapted car fitted that i could use, I have searched on google and people with my condition are in receipt of higher rate mobility PIP so they had a car and adaptions paid for them.

Please help 

Regards,

Natalie 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @Natalie29190

Do you think you'd be eligible for enhanced PIP mobility?
  • Natalie29190
    Natalie29190 Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    I dont know to be honest, I struggle to get around, 90% of the time i have someone with me in public as i feel anxious but i dont tell the other person that is the reason why as i feel embarrassed.  
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you looked at the possibility of hand controls ?
    There are some on the market that can be installed and removed in minutes.
    This would enable you to "convert" a normal dual brake automatic driving school car for the lesson period if you found a willing instructor

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness