HELP ME PLEASE — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

HELP ME PLEASE

Natalie29190
Natalie29190 Community member Posts: 24 Listener
I am 27 years old and a dwarf, i stand at 4ft5.

I have been wanting to drive for so long but i know it is not going to be as easy as it will be for everyone else.

I am in receipt of standard daily living PIP and that is all.

I have had a driving assessment in August with QEF in Carshalton, i drove a car which was fully adapted and it was amazing...

I have looked around to see if there is any driving instructors that are able to teach me and their are none  the route i have to go down is to buy an automatic car and have pedal extensions and a duel brake fitted so i can take driving lessons in that car and eventually do my driving test, Problem with that is it will set me back over £6000 just to have a car to be able to start to do driving lessons.

That is a lot of money.

Does anyone know of anyone who can advise me or anyone know anyone who has a specially adapted car fitted that i could use, I have searched on google and people with my condition are in receipt of higher rate mobility PIP so they had a car and adaptions paid for them.

Please help 

Regards,

Natalie 

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @Natalie29190

Do you think you'd be eligible for enhanced PIP mobility?
  • Natalie29190
    Natalie29190 Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    I dont know to be honest, I struggle to get around, 90% of the time i have someone with me in public as i feel anxious but i dont tell the other person that is the reason why as i feel embarrassed.  
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you looked at the possibility of hand controls ?
    There are some on the market that can be installed and removed in minutes.
    This would enable you to "convert" a normal dual brake automatic driving school car for the lesson period if you found a willing instructor

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.