Hi, my name is ZacHallam! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is ZacHallam!

Options
ZacHallam
ZacHallam Community member Posts: 9 Connected
Where to begin? Ive had spondylosis of my lower spine for a while now and arthritis in my knees and shoulders. Slowly I am losing my mobility and use a stick and have a wheelchair too. I try to walk but there's no getting away from the pain, I don't sleep and although I'm a positive person with a positive outlook this last six months has taken its toll. Suddenly I find myself isolated and alone wondering what's next. I haven't joined this site for sympathy but to hopefully talk, listen and learn from those in a similar position because I can't believe that I'm alone with all that's going on in my life as a result of my situation. I've practically stopped going out my confidence has gone, suddenly I find myself sitting looking out of the window as my mental well being slips away. I don't know I honestly don't so here I am and if anyone can help in any way I would be grateful. Kind Regards, Zac.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Zac and welcome

Thanks for joining our community, you are not alone ,we are here to listen, support and help in any way we can.

Please ask any questions you may have about benefits etc. and feel free to have a wander round the site and join in with any thread

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ZacHallam

It’s great to meet you this evening!!!!

Please please let me know if I can help you?????

Yes I have/am in a similar situation & keeping “Positive” is a “Must” to be “Honest”

Please please let me know if I can help/support you in anyway????

Thanks.
  • ZacHallam
    Options
    Hi there, thank you for taking the time to reply I really do appreciate it. There are so many people with a more serious condition than me that I don't want to sound ungrateful for what I do have. It's been going on for a couple of years gradually getting worse and I gave up work because I could no longer give 100% to my clients then I started using a walking stick more and more often. Arthritis started in my shoulders and knees and I kept falling so got a wheelchair for when days were too painful but I can't propel myself due to the shoulder pain. My independence seems to have gone so I don't ask for help as I feel ashamed and embarrassed and find myself just sitting here taking lots of medication. It doesn't work, I can't sleep and I just spend my days looking out the window making excuses not to go out and I do my shopping online. I think that's it my mental health has dropped too. Thank you for reading this.
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    Hi Zac
     Arthritis can be very debilitating.
    Have you applied for PIP to help with mobility and daily living ?

CR
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @ZacHallam

That’s no problem at all.

Please don’t feel “Ashamed & Embarrased”

I have been through a similar situation as yourself.

Please please let me know if I can help you further ????
  • ZacHallam
    Options
    Hello CR, yes the arthritis is painful to say the least and coupled with the spondylosis in my lower spine I truly don't know which way to turn. I am on the list to have surgery but don't know when that will be and the consultant says there is only a 20% chance of getting any relief. I joined this forum to be honest as a last resort because I cannot carry on alone and don't want to be a burden on anyone. I have spent 30 odd years supporting people in my work but find it so difficult to show others that I am struggling. I applied about 4 weeks ago for PIP which I have to say would help. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Zac.
  • ZacHallam
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words Steve51. Zac.
  • CockneyRebel
    Options
    Hi Zac

My wife has had Arthritis since she was a young lass, so we know what you are going through. Surgery can help sometimes. To date she has had one hip replaced twice, joints in her toes removed and a whole load of trouble with an elbow, replaced three times and due to go in again because of infection. needs other one done but that will probably never happen.
    Sorry, rambling again :)
    We are here to listen and support all our members so no one is a burden
    Please keep us in the loop with your PIP, hopefully all will go well for you

CR
  • steve51
    Options
    Hi @ZacHallam

That’s no Probs it’s my Pleasure!!!!

Please please let me know if I can help help you further???? 
  • ZacHallam
    Options
    Hello CR, thank you once again for the kind words of support and sharing what your wife has and still is going through, my thoughts and best wishes to her. I will say that the last 6 months has shaken me to the core and at the moment I just don't know what to do or where to turn, it will pass I'm sure. It is nice to be able to write what's happening to me as I have isolated myself , thank you for the support once again. Kind regards from Zac.
  • ZacHallam
    Options
    Hello Steve51, I don't have the words to say how much both yourself and CR have helped by what you have both written, so very kind. Thank you.

Brightness