Hi, my name is Juttle! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Juttle!

Juttle
Juttle Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Morning All,

I'm Bob, 68 and riddled with arthritis. There’s all sorts of other stuff going on, pacemaker, diabetes, asthma and various bits that are broken or terminally useless! Pretty much sums it up really!

I’m here as I’ve been made to feel like a criminal by the DWP by being transferred from DLA to PIP after 15 years of reasonably hassle free payments. I’m reading through the forums to see what happens next.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Bob and welcome

What stage are you at with your PIP claim ?
    DLA and PIP use different criteria and it is important to understand the points system, descriptors and criteria for an award. A good starting place is the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

It is especislly important to understand the mobility criteria if this is needed by you

Pease ask any questions

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Juttle

Good Afternoon, it’s great to have you onboard.

We have got lots of info on “pip”

There is also a “Benefit Advisory Service” 

We host a pip group where members can pass on their “pip” experience’s.

Please please let me know if any of these would be helpful ???? 
  • Juttle
    Well, thanks for the warm welcome!

I’ve just been through the link to the self assessment form and it looks like I’m likely to lose the care component completely but should qualify for the enhanced mobility component. A drop of £559 a month is going to make a huge difference! I’m annoyed that I’ve been deemed eligible for the care bit for 15 years and now, because a collection of faceless numpties in Whitehall can’t add up a row of figures and come up with the same answer twice, me and probably thousands like me are being forced to make up their budgetry shortfall as well as being treated like untermensch by surly and belligerent DWP staff as we try to jump through all the hoops that they keep moving about!

Right, rant over, thanks for your help so far, I’ll report back after my imminent interrogation!

Bob
  • Juttle
    Ooopps, should have said half of £559 per month. See, I really shouldn’t be allowed to operate dangerous machinery!
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Juttle

I’m very very sorry about that, yes you are correct most people are losing there’s completely!!!!!!

We need the be aware that the process of the “PIP” is completely different than the “DLA”

Can I help you with the online form just to check things????

Sorry but have you got a date that the form needs to go back????

Many thanks.
  • CockneyRebel
    Be aware that because of your age this is the only opportunity to set your mobility going forward. If you are awarded standard and accept it you will not be able to increase to enhanced in the future, even if your needs change.

However as long as you do have the mobility component I believe it is possible to be awarded the care component in the future if your needs change, even if denied at this time.

Even after retirement age PIP can still be re-assessed.

CR
  • Wilkinson66
    Wilkinson66 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hiya, I was told you couldn't have PIP if you was a retiring age. I didn't get PIP but I did get DWP..or something. I have Osto Arthritis and fibromyalgia... Good luck, I hope you're successful.
  • Juttle
    Steve51 - the form has already been done. My wife filled it in as she’s done a good few before with the right result. She’s a nurse and does them for her residents! Thanks for the offer though!

cockneyrebel - thanks for that, I wasn’t aware that the mobility component couldn’t be reassessed once it’s set. My condition is only going in one direction, so being able to reapply for the care is good news as, having been through your very helpful form, I certainly won’t get it when I meet the South West Area obergruppenführer shortly!

cheers Guys,

Bob
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi Bob

Just for clarity
    Mobility cannot be reassessed upwards but it can be downgraded.

CR
  • CockneyRebel
    @ Wilkinson 66

You cannot make a new claim for PIP after retirement age, but if in receipt  when you retire it will continue while you meet the criteria.

The only care benefit that you can apply for post retirement is Attendance Allowance which does not have a mobility component

CR
  • Juttle
    Evening, All,

Well, that went better than expected! Had the interview this afternoon with a very professional lady who had a sense of humour! Took about an hour, wiggled and wobbled a few bits of failing anatomy, checked that my brain still functioned and that was that. Not my first choice of a way to spend an afternoon, but a reasonably pleasurable experience!

Now, the wait for the letter begins, 6 to 8 weeks apparently, so I’ll report back them.

Cheers, All,

Bob
  • foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    Phone the DWP if you don't get the decision after three weeks from the date of the assessment. That's the timescale they give on their advice line.

I did that today and got enhanced rate on both mobility and care.

Like yourself I had a really professional lady who knew her job.

I enjoyed your descriptions of many DWP employees. My own favourite is 'snotty nosed pimply twerps' which I use often.

Like yourself I am 'older' and I think the good manners we were taught tend to work wonders with assessors who just can't handle old fashioned 'charm offensives'.....

Good luck, I hope yours is as good as mine was.

Jon

• CockneyRebel
    Hi Bob

You should ring the DWP next week and ask for a copy of the assessment report

CR
  • Juttle
    Hi, Jon,

Much as I’d like to, I can’t claim the snotty nosed description, I did however refer to the various DWP staff as reichsmarschall and  obergruppenführer which, after today’s performance, was totally inappropriate!

I’ll do as you suggest and give it three weeks and then give them a ring. Thanks for the tip and congratulations!

Bob
  • Juttle
    Hi Bob

You should ring the DWP next week and ask for a copy of the assessment report

CR
    OK, I’ll do that and report back.

Thanks, Mate,

Bob
  • Juttle
    Morning, All,

Well, I got my results this morning, standard daily living and enhanced mobility. Basically, I’m down approx £120 per month which seems to be due to the goalposts moving rather than somebody involved in my claim screwing up! Having read a good many horror stories on here, it could have been a lot worse and, as everybody knows, our poor benighted government needs the money far more than I do!

Where’s a sarcastic smilie when you need one!

Bob
  • foxuk
    Hi and good that you retained what you did.

The next step is mandatory reconsideration. Best to ask for a copy of the assessor's report first so you can see if anything has been missed. Even the best assessors have bad days.....

It doesn't cost anything and there's plenty of advice here and elsewhere about how to do it.

You never know, it may work and £120 a month isn't peanuts.

Good luck,

Jon

P.S. It seems things are getting back to the 1970s when everyone was given a refusal or less than they needed and had to appeal. Gawd I feel old!
  • foxuk
    I only just found this guide myself, seems ok and let's you know what's going on. There's other stuff there as well CAB online is pretty good...

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/
  • Juttle
    Hi,

I’ve  already got a copy of the assessors report and it’s pretty much as I discussed at the time. While we were talking the assessor did say that some of the stuff that was considered awardworthy under the DLA assessments no longer featured with PIP. She considered this to be a cynical and predatory assault by HMG on vulnerable people that was facilitated by changing the qualifying criteria. Like I said earlier, I was lucky enough to be assessed by a human being!

I’m going to consider myself lucky to have had a better result than I might have done had I been assessed by some of the other assessors that have been described in the other posts on here!

having said that, I’m off to read the contents of that link...
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Disability Rights UK site has an online guide to all stages of PIP.  And there is this mandatory reconsideration tool:  http://www.advicenow.org.uk/pip-tool 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.