PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Hi, my name is Juttle!

JuttleJuttle Member Posts: 10 Listener
Morning All,

I'm Bob, 68 and riddled with arthritis. There’s all sorts of other stuff going on, pacemaker, diabetes, asthma and various bits that are broken or terminally useless! Pretty much sums it up really!

I’m here as I’ve been made to feel like a criminal by the DWP by being transferred from DLA to PIP after 15 years of reasonably hassle free payments. I’m reading through the forums to see what happens next.

Replies

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,258 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Bob and welcome

What stage are you at with your PIP claim ?
    DLA and PIP use different criteria and it is important to understand the points system, descriptors and criteria for an award. A good starting place is the B&W self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

It is especislly important to understand the mobility criteria if this is needed by you

Pease ask any questions

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Juttle

Good Afternoon, it’s great to have you onboard.

We have got lots of info on “pip”

There is also a “Benefit Advisory Service” 

We host a pip group where members can pass on their “pip” experience’s.

Please please let me know if any of these would be helpful ???? 
  • JuttleJuttle Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Well, thanks for the warm welcome!

I’ve just been through the link to the self assessment form and it looks like I’m likely to lose the care component completely but should qualify for the enhanced mobility component. A drop of £559 a month is going to make a huge difference! I’m annoyed that I’ve been deemed eligible for the care bit for 15 years and now, because a collection of faceless numpties in Whitehall can’t add up a row of figures and come up with the same answer twice, me and probably thousands like me are being forced to make up their budgetry shortfall as well as being treated like untermensch by surly and belligerent DWP staff as we try to jump through all the hoops that they keep moving about!

Right, rant over, thanks for your help so far, I’ll report back after my imminent interrogation!

Bob
    Ooopps, should have said half of £559 per month. See, I really shouldn’t be allowed to operate dangerous machinery!
  • steve51steve51 Community champion Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Juttle

I’m very very sorry about that, yes you are correct most people are losing there’s completely!!!!!!

We need the be aware that the process of the “PIP” is completely different than the “DLA”

Can I help you with the online form just to check things????

Sorry but have you got a date that the form needs to go back????

Many thanks.
    Be aware that because of your age this is the only opportunity to set your mobility going forward. If you are awarded standard and accept it you will not be able to increase to enhanced in the future, even if your needs change.

However as long as you do have the mobility component I believe it is possible to be awarded the care component in the future if your needs change, even if denied at this time.

Even after retirement age PIP can still be re-assessed.

CR
  • Wilkinson66Wilkinson66 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hiya, I was told you couldn't have PIP if you was a retiring age. I didn't get PIP but I did get DWP..or something. I have Osto Arthritis and fibromyalgia... Good luck, I hope you're successful.
    Steve51 - the form has already been done. My wife filled it in as she’s done a good few before with the right result. She’s a nurse and does them for her residents! Thanks for the offer though!

cockneyrebel - thanks for that, I wasn’t aware that the mobility component couldn’t be reassessed once it’s set. My condition is only going in one direction, so being able to reapply for the care is good news as, having been through your very helpful form, I certainly won’t get it when I meet the South West Area obergruppenführer shortly!

cheers Guys,

Bob
    Hi Bob

Just for clarity
    Mobility cannot be reassessed upwards but it can be downgraded.

CR
    @ Wilkinson 66

You cannot make a new claim for PIP after retirement age, but if in receipt  when you retire it will continue while you meet the criteria.

The only care benefit that you can apply for post retirement is Attendance Allowance which does not have a mobility component

CR
    Evening, All,

Well, that went better than expected! Had the interview this afternoon with a very professional lady who had a sense of humour! Took about an hour, wiggled and wobbled a few bits of failing anatomy, checked that my brain still functioned and that was that. Not my first choice of a way to spend an afternoon, but a reasonably pleasurable experience!

Now, the wait for the letter begins, 6 to 8 weeks apparently, so I’ll report back them.

Cheers, All,

Bob
  • foxukfoxuk Member Posts: 98 Pioneering
    Phone the DWP if you don't get the decision after three weeks from the date of the assessment. That's the timescale they give on their advice line.

I did that today and got enhanced rate on both mobility and care.

Like yourself I had a really professional lady who knew her job.

I enjoyed your descriptions of many DWP employees. My own favourite is 'snotty nosed pimply twerps' which I use often.

Like yourself I am 'older' and I think the good manners we were taught tend to work wonders with assessors who just can't handle old fashioned 'charm offensives'.....

Good luck, I hope yours is as good as mine was.

Jon

Hi Bob

You should ring the DWP next week and ask for a copy of the assessment report

CR
    Hi, Jon,

Much as I’d like to, I can’t claim the snotty nosed description, I did however refer to the various DWP staff as reichsmarschall and  obergruppenführer which, after today’s performance, was totally inappropriate!

I’ll do as you suggest and give it three weeks and then give them a ring. Thanks for the tip and congratulations!

Bob
    Hi Bob

You should ring the DWP next week and ask for a copy of the assessment report

CR
    OK, I’ll do that and report back.

Thanks, Mate,

Bob
    Morning, All,

Well, I got my results this morning, standard daily living and enhanced mobility. Basically, I’m down approx £120 per month which seems to be due to the goalposts moving rather than somebody involved in my claim screwing up! Having read a good many horror stories on here, it could have been a lot worse and, as everybody knows, our poor benighted government needs the money far more than I do!

Where’s a sarcastic smilie when you need one!

Bob
    Hi and good that you retained what you did.

The next step is mandatory reconsideration. Best to ask for a copy of the assessor's report first so you can see if anything has been missed. Even the best assessors have bad days.....

It doesn't cost anything and there's plenty of advice here and elsewhere about how to do it.

You never know, it may work and £120 a month isn't peanuts.

Good luck,

Jon

P.S. It seems things are getting back to the 1970s when everyone was given a refusal or less than they needed and had to appeal. Gawd I feel old!
    I only just found this guide myself, seems ok and let's you know what's going on. There's other stuff there as well CAB online is pretty good...

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/
    Hi,

I’ve  already got a copy of the assessors report and it’s pretty much as I discussed at the time. While we were talking the assessor did say that some of the stuff that was considered awardworthy under the DLA assessments no longer featured with PIP. She considered this to be a cynical and predatory assault by HMG on vulnerable people that was facilitated by changing the qualifying criteria. Like I said earlier, I was lucky enough to be assessed by a human being!

I’m going to consider myself lucky to have had a better result than I might have done had I been assessed by some of the other assessors that have been described in the other posts on here!

having said that, I’m off to read the contents of that link...
  • MatildaMatilda Member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Disability Rights UK site has an online guide to all stages of PIP.  And there is this mandatory reconsideration tool:  http://www.advicenow.org.uk/pip-tool 
  • cobracobra Member Posts: 36 Courageous

Hi, my name is Cobra, though I don’t bite.

I’ve a similar story like Juttle, but a few stages further.

I’d just turned 68 some 4 days ago. I’ve been receiving DLA HRM and HRC ……INDEFINITLEY for the last 12+ years since 2004. I had to go to a Tribunal with the Solicitor’s help. There was a cut off date for people to go from DLA to PIP which had I been 2 years older (63 instead of 65) I would have automatically qualified but alas that was not so !! I’ve been driving a Motability car for the last 12+ years.

I have been diagnosed with Arthritis since 1975 when I had my first of 17 separate operations to different parts of my body for different ailments. The ailments include insulin dependent (very high dosage 160-180 units) + tablets-controlled Diabetes, Hypertension, High Cholesterol, Neuropathy, frozen shoulder, Diabetic foot, Cataract + EYLEA, etc. Now at my age I’ve also been suffering with personal hygiene problems which involves with ‘accidents’ It would be inappropriate to write all these here.  My files at 2 city hospitals, podiatry, optician, OT, and my GP’s surgery would be full of reams of paper. I was visited by my OT in 2005 and made a full report and suggested to me and to my local council to have full downstairs disabled facilities to be converted from my garage. My council even gave us some 80% grant. We had the Full Disabled facilities done by 2005.  I also had further OT visits through my GP’s requests and they provided me with 2 metal walking sticks. They also provided a ramp and two grab rails to the front of my home.

I had a home visit by an assessor before Christmas. My son had asked if he could bring any tea / coffee or soft drink as is our traditional Indian custom for ALL visitors. She however declined. Then the grilling started, and she kept on pestering personal questions which made me cry. My son had to comfort me and bring some water for me. I asked her if she needed to check my disabled facility and again she declined.

I had heard nothing for weeks than I received a letter dated 05 Jan from my local council that my changeover from DLA to PIP will not vary for council Tax purposes and will remain same.

I’d then presumed that my PIP application has been approved. Therefore, it seemed my council received the notification from DWP before they had posted to me. I waited 3 more days to see if their letter would come and it hadn’t come so I rang to check if the letter had gone astray. Then DWP informed me that it was ‘sent’ on 05.01.18. Then further 2 days had passed and on Friday 12.01.18. To cap it all I found out that DWP had only given me 6 out of 74 points for Daily Living care (I had calculated 30 points) and 10 out of 24 points for mobility. (I had calculated 20 points).

Than I read what were the reasons given and I was flabbergasted to learn that the assessor’s report was pure fabrication and a pack of lies. The ‘tests’ I was made to do was exaggerated and some weren’t even asked so the DM made upon that information. I was told that should I want to ask for Mandatory Reconsideration Notice I’ve to send within 30 days. DWP deliberately took out approx. 10 days out of 30 days by posting to the council on the same day 05.01 as they said that they had posted to me which I received their letter on 12.01 I’d complained that to my MP as well, not that it would make any difference to a Tory MP.

I than made a MRN in time with what I’d thought I should the points have received and what I got. Again, it took some time to receive even a worse report and their letter thus discouraging me to appeal. This letter was dated 29 Jan was received a day after my 68 birthday on 05 Feb, i.e. 7 days to receive. Now again they’ve said that I’ve got 30 days from their letter dated 19 Jan for an appeal. By doing this you’re rushed in to writing to the courts for an appeal.

I am in tethers who to turn to, to help me make a winning appeal as CAB (they don’t have funding in my area), Helping Hands (they’ve got too much work so nearest appointment is in March) and now I’ve managed to get a call appointment next Thursday 15 Feb.

Sorry for this long message / rant but I needed to warn others of what’s happening with PIP. This message has taken me some hours in separate time and I hope it makes sense.

Hi, Mate,

Wow, didn’t I get away lightly! That sounds like a disaster from beginning to end! 

I’m not in a position to offer any help or assistance, but don’t panic! There are a lot of friendly and helpful, not to forget knowledgeable, people in here, and I’m sure some of them will pick up on this.

All I can say is the very best of luck, oh, and don’t let them win!

Bob
    Juttle said:
    Hi, Mate,

Wow, didn’t I get away lightly! That sounds like a disaster from beginning to end! 

I’m not in a position to offer any help or assistance, but don’t panic! There are a lot of friendly and helpful, not to forget knowledgeable, people in here, and I’m sure some of them will pick up on this.

All I can say is the very best of luck, oh, and don’t let them win!

Bob
    Many many thanks for your kind offer.
    I need anything and everything to help me to go for an appeal and WIN
    God Bless

Many many thanks for your kind offer.
    I need anything and everything to help me to go for an appeal and WIN
    God Bless
    If you need local help it may be worth checking  out Age UK.

This link has an area search so that you can find a local group.
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/

Being past the age for a first claim PIP means that you are in the difficult box. Most advisers for age specific benefits will be more experienced with Attendance Allowance than PIP.

The best advice is to get advice from an organisation that will also represent you at a tribunal, if at all possible. It's amazing how helpful they can be when being 'watched over'....

Good luck,

Jon

Hi cobra

The first stage of appeal to tribunal is to submit form SSCS1 with just your basic reasons for your challenge. You then have some time to get help to prepare your submission

CR
    Many thanks @CockneyRebel for your kind reply. In the form it asks if any organisation is going to represent you. At the moment I don't have anyone to represent me so what answer should I give? I've not got my Dr's report either so should I wait? 
    I would also appreciate any guidance of how to word my appeal. Please bear in mind that English is not my first language so any pointers / help will be gratefully accepted. Someone had suggested I try age concern so I have also written to them but at present the way my luck in finding someone close by to help is nil.
    Thank you and God bless
Sign in or join us to comment.