Severe Depression And Severe Anxiety - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe Depression And Severe Anxiety

2»

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    What worries me @CockneyRebel is that a lot of people lose DLA when applying for PIP and then have to reapply. From what I have read re-application at retirement age is not possible to get it back, at least not the mobility component. That is what worries me as I need a car to leave home. As I have such a unique problem I always run into doctors misdiagnosing me with crumbling spine and becoming dismissive because the problems caused by that are so minor by comparison. I know that comment might upset sufferers of it but all I can say is that their medication levels compared to mine are so different as to put me on another planet by comparison.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    TK
    Yes you are right, if you lose having challenged all the way to tribunal, you cannot reapply for pip after retirement age, you can only apply for A.A. and there is no mobility comonent with AA

That is why I try and make people aware, when they are approaching retirement age, that the mobility component  must be fought for.
    If you are on PIP your final assessment before retirement age will set your mobility award.. So be aware that if your award length  takes you past retirement age then the mobiity component you have will stay as it is and will not go up.
    For example, a claimant is 63 and has an assessment, is awarded standard mobilty for 5 years. the review will normally be in 4 years when the claimant will be 67. Even if your mobility needs have changed you cannot now be awarded the enhnced rate for mobility.
    The only time that this is different is when a claimant who is on DLA is invited to claim PIP. The claimant can be receiving state pension aged 67 for example. This one tiime assesssment can award enhanced rate mobility and if it does not then the normal appeals process of MR and tribunal should be followed. The mobility award is then set if you continue to meet the criteria.

It is also important to understand that PIP can be reassessed at any time and reviews continue into retirement. In theory you could be 90 years young and still be called for a f2f assessment

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Topkitten
    I have an indefinite DLA award of high rate mobility and middle rate care. I was told I would have to apply for PIP within 2 years so initially was given a 2 year award. After 2 years that became lifetime. It has now been 4 or 5 years since the lifetime award and I have heard nothing about PIP. I am currently 61 and my retirement age is 66. I know that is almost 5 years away but I am OCD and hate things being outstanding and not knowing.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Topkitten
    I forgot to mention that I have other issues that will affect any claim for PIP.

Due to a mistake by Social Care in assigning a trainee to my case. The mistakes she made caused them to be proliferous with lies and excuses and they have made up all sorts of bad things about me. I am consequently blacklisted and barred from having a Social Worker or any care arranged by Social Care.

Despite constant suicidal thoughts I was discharged by Mental Health after 2 years as they could not help me especially as the agoraphobia prevented me from attending therapy sessions.

I was refused help by the lower level Mental Health group (Health in mind) due to my suicidal thoughts.

I have recently been discharged by Orthopaedics as my neck problems are magically not in need of surgery.

I was discharged by the hospital Pain Clinic after they made a big mistake which was then covered up by changing my health records retrospectively and they have refused 2 referrals since stating they cannot help.

I am supposed to be under the community Pain Clinic but fell out with the doctor when he completely misdiagnosed my neck / shoulder problems. I am supposed to go on a course but have heard nothing for over 6 months, not since I informed them I could not attend the course they wanted me to go on as I was away. They promised to get back to me and didn't.

There is only 1 GP at my surgery that I trust enough to talk to.

Despite trying 15 or more different anti-depressants over the years there are none that I can cope with the side effects caused. Consequently I take nothing for severe depression. It concerned me when I saw a post that said of PIP "If you aren't taking medication for it, you don't have it".

All this means that it will be very difficult to come up with supporting documentation.

TK
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi TK

I can understand your concerns. PIP is behind in the change over so you could get a letter next week or two years time. There is a lot of rumour and misleading stuff written about PIP. Especially on the forums we mostly hear the bad side. In my case I had no supporting evidence and got high mobility standard care just from the form anf f2f as did my wife. so it can be done. It is good that you are here to learn all you can so can be as best prepared as possible.

CR
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @CockneyRebel Thank you for this.  Glad you are all here.  With regard to PIP please can I say I will any issues, problems contact the team.  I know have said this before on current DLA high motobility component.  Got a letter few years ago saying about the change to PIP.  That they will contact me.  So have been trying to save on what I am living on now.  Please can I suggest any one in this situation think about trying to put away funds.  Limited is £6000 I believe.    Will be looking at all options.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi thespiceman

DLA and PIP are non means tested and are unaffected by any income or savings. If you are in receipt of income related ESA then savings under £6000 are disregarded, savings over  £6000 then are taken into consideration

CR
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.