SMI payments will be ending as of April — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SMI payments will be ending as of April

clr44
clr44 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi it’s my first time ever on a chat/info line , I had a letter through my door saying that my SMI payments will be ending as of April, the leaflet was demoralising and very insulting , I work , but cannot earn much as I have two children one of which is registered didsabled , I am a full time carer for him and also a single Mum , I now have been told that I need to find an extra £180 a month , which is something is totally out of my control as caring for my son has to take priority, or get myself in debt with the loan and stick a huge amount of pressure on my children , I cannot downsize as the leaflet suggests to people then I would be in a 1 bedroom place for 3 of us , nor can I ask family members or friends for financial help, I’m worried sick that I will now lose our home for something that has not been our fault , my sons dissability was not his fault, my caring role as a parent is not my fault, and me being a single Mum is not my fault , I am trying to better myself by taking up further education to better my chances of a career later in life , it’s not like I am someone sitting on a sofa with my hand out for payouts , I’m struggling with the future now and worst thing is we now could lose our home . Does anyone else share a similar situation at this scary time? I generally don’t know what to do

Comments

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.