VAT free for disabled people? — Scope | Disability forum

VAT free for disabled people?

corinna Member Posts: 2 Listener
hi everyone, I have a younger sister who has cp she is now in her late thirties but we have got her a disability bungalow and she manages ok with the aid of my very elderly parents who take her to work and helps her with meals etc.. my parents have recently moved and in order to get my sister into their house for meals they need to build a ramp. We have found a joiner that can do this but can my parents get this vat free? I am fed up with them at 80 having no help. X


  • steve51
    steve51 Member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2018
    Hi @corinna

    Welcome to our website and online community I do hope that we can help you with this ?????

    The answer is yes:

    Please please let me know if this link doesn't work as I have been experiencing problems with some of them !!!!!

  • corinna
    corinna Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Steve no it doesn't work but thank you for responding! My sister thinks because she doesnt line with them they aren't entitled to help. I would really appreciate any advice you could give x
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,674 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @corinna This information is from the government website.

    VAT relief for disabled people

    If you’re disabled or have a long-term illness, you won’t be charged VAT on products designed or adapted for your own personal or domestic use. Also, you won’t be charged VAT on:

    • the installation and any extra work needed as part of this
    • repairs or maintenance
    • spare parts or accessories

    The product and your disability have to qualify.

    Qualifying products or services

    Your supplier can tell you, but usually products designed or adapted for a disability qualify. For example, certain types of:

    • adjustable beds
    • stair lifts
    • wheelchairs
    • medical appliances to help with severe injuries
    • alarms
    • braille paper or low vision aids - but not spectacles or contact lenses
    • motor vehicles - or the leasing of a motability vehicle
    • building work like ramps, widening doors, installing a lift or toilet

    How to get the product VAT free

    To get the product VAT free your disability has to qualify. For VAT purposes, you’re disabled or have a long-term illness if:

    • you have a physical or mental impairment that affects your ability to carry out everyday activities, for example blindness
    • you have a condition that’s treated as chronic sickness, like diabetes
    • you’re terminally ill

    You don’t qualify if you’re elderly but able-bodied, or if you’re temporarily disabled.

    You’ll need to confirm in writing that you meet these conditions. Your supplier may give you a form for this.

    Help from your council

    You can apply to your council for equipment or help to adapt your home if you have a disability.

    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 126 Courageous
    The user and all related content has been deleted.