What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Benefits advice needed

uklexukuklexuk Member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello to everyone!


  • uklexukuklexuk Member Posts: 5 Listener
    I am a disabled person getting DLA, plus to that I was recently diagnosed with cancer (had 3 surgeries already). I have lost a job a week ago and went to Social services to claim a JSA. They said I am not entitled to Housing Benefit becase I am paying mortgage. I asked what to do in this case? and the answer was to reposess the house!! I can't believve if this all the Gov can help after me paying £2000 a month in taxes for many years? How else the mortgage payment can be covered for some time? Is ESA a solution? Can I get a Child credit tax beeng unemployed? Any guidance will be highly appreciated.
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Senior online community officer
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,280 Disability Gamechanger
    Okay, well you probably went to the DWP rather than social services to claim JSA but you now need to establish whether you’re entitled to contributory or means-tested JSA as support with mortgage interest is available as part of the latter only. You need to approach your lender and keep them fully appraised of your change of circumstances as. Any will be supportive and offer brief payment holidays etc. and you also need a comprehensive benefit check to look at things like Council Tax Reduction, Child Tax Credit etc. 
  • uklexukuklexuk Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you for your comment. I am meeting the JobCentre tomorrow and hope they will be more informative. I 'll  keep you updated
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,280 Disability Gamechanger
    JCP is the last place you want advice from. You need a face to face benefit check from an independent advice service such as Citizens Advice or a local authority welfare rights service or some other independent service local to you.
  • uklexukuklexuk Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Citizens is dead - they are only open for 3 hours a week, phones are dead, appointment is not available to book as link does not give you a Go on this , chat is dead as well! I am surprised but this is true. The Barnet Council unit just take the copies of the documents and THATS IT, they also only  suggested to call dead number for Citizens AB! Never heard or used of Welfare rights service  or any other independent service - will do a search on this. Thanks, will keep you posted
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,280 Disability Gamechanger


    Clearly Barnet WRS do not just take copies. Please read the attached link. I am aware of people who work for the service and that is not what they do at all. I fear you may have misunderstood. They sound exactly like what you need.

  • uklexukuklexuk Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thank you - I don'tthink I ever contacted them, I hope I will sort this with them
Sign in or join us to comment.