Benefits advice needed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits advice needed

Options
uklexuk
uklexuk Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello to everyone!

Comments

• uklexuk
    Options
    I am a disabled person getting DLA, plus to that I was recently diagnosed with cancer (had 3 surgeries already). I have lost a job a week ago and went to Social services to claim a JSA. They said I am not entitled to Housing Benefit becase I am paying mortgage. I asked what to do in this case? and the answer was to reposess the house!! I can't believve if this all the Gov can help after me paying £2000 a month in taxes for many years? How else the mortgage payment can be covered for some time? Is ESA a solution? Can I get a Child credit tax beeng unemployed? Any guidance will be highly appreciated.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • uklexuk
    Options
    Thank you for your comment. I am meeting the JobCentre tomorrow and hope they will be more informative. I 'll  keep you updated
  • uklexuk
    Options
    Citizens is dead - they are only open for 3 hours a week, phones are dead, appointment is not available to book as link does not give you a Go on this , chat is dead as well! I am surprised but this is true. The Barnet Council unit just take the copies of the documents and THATS IT, they also only  suggested to call dead number for Citizens AB! Never heard or used of Welfare rights service  or any other independent service - will do a search on this. Thanks, will keep you posted
  • uklexuk
    Options
    Thank you - I don'tthink I ever contacted them, I hope I will sort this with them

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.