PIP reassessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP reassessment

dottydotty
dottydotty Community member Posts: 321 Pioneering
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello.  I reached pension age November 2017  ,  had a  PIP re -assessment, with CAPITA on 29th DEC 2017 ,    Have just  received my decision letter from DWP   gone from 18 points  ( last PIP assessment ) down  to 2 points,.so have  lost my Pip award . Have written  to DWP asking for a Statement of Reasons ,     Is it worth asking for a Mandatory  Reconsideration ?    anyone else in a  similar situation . ?  

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello dotty dotty and welcome

You must ask for a MR to get your benefit back. Did you have/need a mobility element ?

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • dottydotty
    Hi  Yes I originally had enhanced rate for care and lower rate for mobility.  scored only 2 points on my recent assessement and that was because the assessor asked to see my hearing aid and so he had visible proof of that particular disability .  I am tempted to complain to Capita and ask for another assessment . 
  • dottydotty
    ps  I asked DWP for a statement of reasons ,  but on reflection I think I should have requested the Assessors  report. Either way I don't hold out much hope in a MR and may have to go the Tribunal route. 
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi dottydotty

You may have to fight for your mobility element. Once past retirement age the mobility element cannot be increased in the future even if your needs do. As this is your change from DLA to PIP this is your one time to do so
    So if you don't receive a mobility award this time you never will

CR
  • dottydotty
    Hi Cockney Rebel  thankyou for your replies  Just to add that . I  was already  in receipt of PIP.  I transferred over from DLA in2014 and was awarded higher rates for Pip.  Given a 4 year award that should have expired June 2018.  

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dottydotty

We have some great videos about appealing a PIP decision here.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • dottydotty
    Hi Sam Scope Thankyou . Have not fully decided if to ask for a reconsideration . however I have just rung DWP to ask for the Health Providers Assessment report and the DWP man told me a reconsideration has been logged . I explained I have not requested one as yet , I now have a shortened length of time to get my paperwork together along with any discrepancies in the report when I eventualyl recieve it .  Will check out the videos  to see if any tips etc  ,(  Why is life so complicated at times )
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Community member Posts: 36 Courageous
    I'm still waiting for my appeal to be heard from last year.  They have all the information 260 pages I don't have anything else to give them except my tears....
    Has anyone been successful with the PIP appeals, so far I haven't heard of anyone getting through.  What gets me is that I had to fight tooth and nail to get the old DLA because I was advised to claim for it as I had a right to getting the benefit when my health changed, and getting PIP has changed so much, WHY!!!
    Where's the professional help in all this when things go wrong....
    I don't think that they have considered the implications this is having on people emotionally it's draining and upsetting when you get the feed back from the assessor report
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi dottydotty

The MR is the first stage of your appeal and you need the MR decision letter to then appeal to the tribunal.
    If you do not get your PIP award you cannot now reapply for PIP, the only benefit available would be  AA which does not have a mobility element

CR
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi Ritzy

Success at tribunal is around 65%, some areas are taking 6-8 months for hearings.
    You can ring the tribunal clerk for an update on waitimg times in your area

CR
  • dottydotty
    Hi Cockney Rebel  thanks again for info .  ,  Is the statement of reasons  a  longr version of the reason supplied in the DWP decision letter. Also does anyone know what info the assessor has before the assessment . Does he / she  know what scores you scored last time and what  rate benefit awarded .  sorry for all the questions  . Just find it all so daunting .

• CockneyRebel
    Hi dottydotty

It can be very daunting so don't worry we will try and help all we can

The assessment report is the full version of what the assessor wrote and should contain the points. This will help you identify the areas you need to challenge
    The assessor is unlikely to know your previous scores. They should have read your medical evidence but many do the assessment first then look at the evidence before making a recommendation

• dottydotty
    H I  Cockney Rebel   My assessor did not ask to see any medical  evidence , he just wanted to see my medication and my hearing aids (  to check I was wearing them ). I now have to get all my medical  reports ready and any new evidence which sadly I don't really have as all my conditions are long term  not much the Dr can do to reverse it , Just hope the reconsideration is  not  actioned    before I have received the assessors  reports back from DWP they said it could take 2 weeks .from today .

• CockneyRebel
    Hi dotty dotty

Many of us with long term conditions have little in the way of new medical evidence.
    Testamonials from any family or friends that know you  can help, often medical evidence is about your condition whereas PIP is about how you are affected.
    Sometimes keeping a daily diary  can help.

CR
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @dottydotty, Firstly as you say you need your assessor's report. From what you have told us you will find it is full of incorrect information and even lies. This should spur you on to continue to fight for what you're entitled to. You are making the same mistake as a lot of people if you don't mind me saying in thinking that Capita and DWP are somehow superior to us and must be submitted to instead of standing up to them. Your MR will not be done until you write a letter requesting it with your reasons why the assessor was wrong in the decisions suggested to the Decision makers. You can also get more time to send in your MR by ringing DWP and requesting this. They should then set a new date from the date you ring but get the name of who you speak to and make sure they've put the new date on record and keep a record of it yourself with the time and date of the call and what was said. You can also send the letter without any evidence that you need more time to get together by saying in the letter that further evidence is to follow and can they wait till they get it before doing an MR. Old evidence is fine if that's all you have. I had medical notes going back 46 years that were used. Yes you may have to go to tribunal but DWP can change the decision anytime up to Appeal even after the MR. Mine was changed on a 3rd review of my claim but only because of my insistence that they use my evidence and look again. It's those who just accept everything who come off worst. Either having to accept a lower award or waiting months to get what they're entitled to. Too many are being treated like you and it's not good enough.           
  • dottydotty
    Hi Wildlife  .  thanks for the encouragement , yes  I'm sure my report will be a pack of  untruths  it said on the DWP decision letter that I was in a  good mood  and cheerfull .   Hmmm .  I note you say  yours  was changed on a third review , didn't know that could happen  so that's comforting to know . and if I get no joy  I will apply for Attendance Allowance , ( plan B) 
  • dottydotty
    hI Cockney Rebel  Family and Friends Testimonial  are the DWP still accepting them . I thought I read it had to come from a  person in the medical profession . I may be wrong  or it might have been on the AWARD REVIEW FORM that I received , ( I'm sure I filled it in incorrectly ). should have just ticked the boxes  no change , they may have left me alone /
  • CockneyRebel
    Hi dotty

You have to make the best case you can. Medical opinions only attest to your condition not how it affects you. The best people to do this are the ones that see you struggle. If you have to appeal then the tribunal should pay attention to these

Please don't give up, AA has no mobility component

CR
  • dottydotty
    Cockney Rebel  thankyou  you are very encouraging .  have got CAB appointment to help me draft a letter ,( still awaiting the SOR and Assessors report)  Have got all my medical records together ,and will get a letter from my friend / neighbour who checks on me at least 4 times a day , that might help . AA no mobility ; I am only low rate mobility but as my condition is  progressive it would be a bonus to get my mobility reinstated .( don't drive so rely on taxi  lifts  etc )    MUST STAY POSITIVE , thankyou .

• dottydotty
    Cockney Rebel .  HELP!   just received my Assessors Report . It was done by a Paramedic ?. Anyway it is full of can I say the word LIES. It  appeasr they have compared what I said in  my assessment to the answers I put on my AR1 REVIEW FORM, that I completed in June last year, (Bearing in mind a lot can happen in 6 months ,) do you know if I can request a copy of the AR1 review  form or should I just dismiss the differences due to fluctuating conditions . On a happier note I am glad I am now pain free and can walk and do all my tasks unaided .NOT .  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.