Standard rate PIP = higher housing benefit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Standard rate PIP = higher housing benefit?

rena
rena Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My sister receives ESA and standard rate pip. Her rent is £450 per month, which means the housing benefit entitlement does not cover it all and she pays £50. My question is, is she entitled to a higher rate of housing benefit because of pip.

Comments

• DenceNucliaAtom
    DenceNucliaAtom Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Does she earn any money besides esa? As when I was claiming housing they paid for the full rent amount which is double ur sisters rent. You can always ask them to recalculate it and also they should show u a breack down of why they arnt paying the full amount. This could be in error and is work seing the full breackdown of calculations to see if it’s correct as they did make a mistake with mine to begin with until I quesried it and got the full rent paid. I hope this is of some help. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rena, and welcome! You may find it helpful to look through past discussions in our ESA and housing categories, and we also have benefits advisors on hand to answer your questions. Hope this helps!
  • rena
    rena Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    No she is single and unable to work. Our council rate for a 1 bed flat is approx £395 per month, so she meets the shortfall.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.