Introducing The Benefits Training Co.-Experts in disability benefits, tax credits and other benefits - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Introducing The Benefits Training Co.-Experts in disability benefits, tax credits and other benefits

Options
2»

Comments

• foxuk
    foxuk Community member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    Options
    I am at present on Carer's benefit which is deducted pound for pound from Income support and then carer's premium added. I care for my wife who is on Higher rates of DLA for both Care and Mobility. 

I have just been awarded PIP at Enhanced rates for Care and Mobility myself.

Would I be better off financially stopping claiming Carer's benefit.

As I read it I would get £30 odd as a Carer for my wife on the joint claim but we would lose £60 odd in my own disability benefit as one of us has Carer's benefit claimed for us.

I read the figures on the Government website but the explanation was vague to say the least.

I know there were cases in the 90s where disabled people won court cases where they both claimed carers benefits for caring for each other but it seems that it would lose us money by doing so.

We live symbiotically and do provide Care by helping each other to perform tasks that we could not do alone. There is no misrepresentation whatsoever as we help each other 24/7/365. 

We could attempt to claim Carer's premium for each other but that is a fight that I think we are too old and tired to take on at this time in our lives.

Over to you,

Jon
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi macca10,

When you said you just scored 15 points, often a tribunal will stop at 15 because that is the threshold and any more than 15 is irrelevant really, it doesn't mean that you wouldn't have scored more if you needed them.

Hi Kevin2017,

You may be able to get representation from your Local Authority's Welfare Rights team if they have one so they should be your first call. CAB will advise you what to expect and will help with your submission but I understand they don't attend appeals. 

Hi foxuk,

Have you claimed Carer's Allowance for looking after each other? This way you would both get £62.70 CA each and carer premiums as well in your income-related benefit claim. You would be better off this way, wouldn't you?

Hi victoriad,

The earliest you can ask for your Carer's Credit to start from is the start of the last full tax year. You can find out more about home responsibilities protection here: https://www.gov.uk/home-responsibilities-protection-hrp but I think it ended in 2010 and you can only claim it for a period before this date.

I am sorry for the short replies but as you can see there has been numerous queries on this thread so I have tried to answer them all but by having to keep them fairly short.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• kass
    kass Community member Posts: 65 Connected
    Options
    Hello I don't know if im posting this in right place or not I was on severely disabled payment but it stop when I changed my address I have been geting the payment since 2016 2017 I have a partner on a visa witch is not allowed to claim no benefits at all due to his visa conditions I get pip at standard rate care and im a carer for my sister should it have been stoped 

Thank you
  • michellebabe
    michellebabe Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi I am trying to find out if I take 6 months off work as parental leave unpaid  to care for my son who is 10 and going to have spinal surgery for his scoliosis (curve of the spine) if i can claim any benefits for him and anything I can claim while I am not working thanks 

• jamie1965
    jamie1965 Community member Posts: 85 Courageous
    Options
    Have you tried the turn2us calculator for benefits it will tell you what you can claim and gives the links to claim it 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    kasskass - if you are talking about the severe disability premium, then I think it doesn't get paid if you live with a partner, even if you can't claim anything for your partner. So this may be why it has stopped. 

michellebabemichellebabe, if you take statutory parental leave you can sometimes get Income Support. However, statutory parental leave is 18 weeks maximum. You could only get Income Support if you met the conditions including not having a working partner or too much in savings. You'd also have to be someone who got Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit at certain levels immediately before your parental leave. 

In some areas of the country, Income Support can't be claimed (on a new claim) and you might have to claim Universal Credit instead. Any tax credits or housing benefit you're getting now would stop, and you wouldn't be able to get them back. So this is something to be very cautious about. You can check if UC has started in your area by entering your postcode here.

Can I ask everyone please, don't post more queries on this thread. Please start a new thread for your queries, otherwise we may miss them. Thank you!

Will

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.