Does any one know if bulging discs become a life time problem? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does any one know if bulging discs become a life time problem?

Illana
Illana Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello, I have had back problems for years ever since I pulled my back out when lifting heavy item. My leg started twisting inwards and I had xrays physio etc, I had to hold onto my daughter and we used to be called vile names and some people would scoff at the way I walked which resulted in me losing my confidence. I have felt my back go several times over the years resulting in agonising pain, I have recently had an MRI scan as I have developed a stooped posture and become exhausted after only walking very short distance,also get pins and needles in hands and leg, I have never really been right since back incident about 30 years ago. My MRI scan results show bulging discs in lumbar area and some narrowing of lumbar canal and ventral thecal sac. I am due to go for physio in feb' Does any one know if bulging discs become a life time problem as I have not been able to walk properly since first suffering with a bad back.

Comments

• BeccaShark123
    BeccaShark123 Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    Hello @Illana ! Hope you're doing well.

I have also been diagnosed with bulging discs. I have two in my lower back. I was told physio would help, which it did to an extent. Bulging discs can be quite subjective as treatment and impact can vary depending on where they are located. Sometimes people can recover from them in a few weeks, and for some they can be a more permanent issue. Mine are on the more permanent side due to location, and other problems I have with my joints besides.

My advice would be to speak to the physio when you see them, and ask. My physio was more to try and ease my symptoms, and prevent really bad flare ups, rather than 'fixing' the discs.

I hope that helps, and really hope your physio goes well!

Becca :smile:   
  • Illana
    Illana Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello Becca, Thank you for your very helpful message. I do seem to have this recurring problem and I will ask the physio when I go in feb' if this is going to be permanent, I also have arthritis in my fingers and left big toe joint, had the other one fused over ten years ago. I have never been able to walk properly since pulling my back out years ago. Thanks once again for getting in touch.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Illana, and welcome! 

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I'm glad you've been able to speak to Becca. If there's anything we can assist you with, just let us know!
  • Denisehigg
    Denisehigg Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I hurt my lower back after lifting something, it resulted in a slipped disc which trapped the sciatic nerve, I had MRI scan which resulted in me having an operation to stop Cauda aquina, I had a discectomy which did not help with the pain, I have been told I have wear and tear on my discs due to age and will be attending hospital for Hydrotherapy physiotherapy, My slipped disc was caused by a accident at work,I have been off work for 9 months and now have to attend a meeting with my employers who are suggesting that if I cannot do my job anymore they will have to let me go !
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    edited January 2018
    i also have a bulging disc. my consultant said 90% of the people he sees with a this do get better and without an operation.
    saying that i'm not sure if all bulging discs are the same and would have the same prognosis?

Brightness