Hi, my name is joywilson! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is joywilson!

joywilson
joywilson Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Why do i have to wait 26weeks before i get any help with my morgage

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @joywilson

“Good Evening”

It’s great to meet you today.

I’m sorry to hear about your current situation.

Sorry but who have you got your mortgage with???

Have they told you it takes that long?????
  • joywilson
    Santander.The JC told me you have to wait 26weeks with help for the morgage
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @joywilson, and welcome to the community!

This seems like a very long time to have to wait, I wonder if @Debbie_Scope has any suggestions?
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @joywilson,

From National Debtline's website:

Depending on your circumstances, you may have to go through a ‘waiting period’ before you start receiving SMI.
    • If you are getting Pension Credit there is no waiting period. You get help with 100% of the interest that is covered on your loan or mortgage, up to the limit of £100,000. If you are already getting SMI and move to Pension Credit within 12 weeks of stopping your other benefits, you will still get help with interest on up to £200,000 of your loan or mortgage.
    • From 1st April 2016 the waiting period is 39 weeks before you receive help if you are on Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance. After 39 weeks, you will get help paying the interest on up to £200,000 of your loan or mortgage.
    • From 5th January 2009 to 31st March 2016 the waiting period was 13 weeks. If you made your claim during this time, you should only have to wait 13 weeks for help from SMI.

It sounds as though you've already served some of your waiting time which starts from the date of your claim. 

I'm not sure if you're aware either but SMI is changing from a benefit to a loan in April this year. Any help you receive with your mortgage from April onwards will be paid as a loan (if you accept the loan).

There some other discussions on this topic such as:
    https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/118254#Comment_118254

I hope this information has been helpful.

Best wishes
    Debbie
  • joywilson
    Hi Debbie thanks for the reply n help no i didnt know about the SMI going to be a loan
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    Hi @joywilson,

If you need to talk things through I'm happy to help. I can't give financial or legal advice but I can help with information if needed.

Hope you're well today

Best wishes
    Debbie

Brightness