Older mums — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Older mums

Options
Ktmexc250
Ktmexc250 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
Hi.my name is Emma  i am 49 and have a 5 year old boy with down syndrome. Having a child at my age is isolating enough but when you chuck in disability into the mix people just fade away.
I have older kids ( 21&26) which went well..they are both still alive and well !! It would be good to chat and compare notes..good and bad with similar people.

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @Ktmexc250, welcome!

I have moved you to our Parents and carers group so that more people with similar experiences may be able to see and reply to your post.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Ktmexc250, and welcome! We have plenty of friendly community members who are always willing to listen, so do get involved with our discussions.

You may like to have a chat with @MPG260183, @lousmum and @SueA in particular, as they all have mentioned having children with Down Syndrome. Hope this helps!
  • Ktmexc250
    Options
    Thanks Pippa. Would live to talk to other parents with kids with DS but have no clue how all this techy witchcraft works!! I do kids, dogs, horses, chickens!! Not always in that order but all similar needs!!
    Any help on how to navigate would be appreciated!
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @Ktmexc250, no problem at all- it sometimes takes some getting used to but once you know how, it's relatively simple!

To tag a person in a comment, just add an '@' symbol before the username, like I did above. To talk privately with a user, visit your own profile by clicking on your username. On the right hand side of this page under your profile picture, there are four little purple symbols. The second from the left is your inbox- click on that, then you can type a message and send it to somebody by typing their username in the 'recipients' box. Hope this makes sense! If you need any more assistance or would like to see screen captures of this process, please don't hesitate to ask!
  • Ktmexc250
    Options
    Thanks for that..didn't understand a word..but i will lumber my way around a see what happens. I get emails to say someone has commented so maybe i will just go with that for now.
  • Zeezee
    Zeezee Community member Posts: 78 Pioneering
    Options
    Lol thanks for admitting your clueless I also have a button/touchscreen phobia and I have wanted to message someone for months and pippa explained it. (not that I really understand the explanation) but I may try it after I have stressed about it for a week or so. I have been coming on here for about a year and stick to email notifications. If it ain't broke don't fix it and it works for me. Your right animals make more sense xx
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Options
    Sorry to hear this @Ktmexc250 and @Zeezee. As you say, if email notifications work best for you then maybe that's the way to go. :)  

Really sorry to hear that my earlier explanation wasn't helpful- if there's anything at all I can help you with please do let me know and I'm more than happy to go through it with you!
  • Ktmexc250
    Options
    Explanation was fine..thankyou. it's just way beyond me.
    Zezee is right..if it ain't broke..
    Just nice to have a chit chat with lots of nice, like minded people.
  • Zeezee
    Zeezee Community member Posts: 78 Pioneering
    Options
    I agree, the explanation was very clear it's just when I am reading or listening to explanations about techy stuff my mind just wanders off and it stops making sense. I am pretty smart and when I try I can actually do it I just have no interest at all so my brain doesn't retain the info. But thanks pippa x
  • Ktmexc250
    Options
    I'm just the same. I find myself thinking about what to do for tea or if i should take the dogs out!
    But i can live with things that way. God knows life is complicated enough without having to worry about tags or emojis..shall we move on? 
    How are people doing? 

Brightness