My daughter is 19 and I have found the Transition process very tough — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My daughter is 19 and I have found the Transition process very tough

Options
Trixie50
Trixie50 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My daughter is 19 and I have found the Transition process very tough to ensure I can continue caring and working. Holiday support in particular, is only possible with a personal budget big enough to pay someone else as other day care settings are few and far away from where we live. Do others find similar problems?

Comments

• Geo08
    Geo08 Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    Oh my goodness @Trixie50, Its honestly such a nightmare to sort anything out once you become an adult.

I have a physical disability and therefore have to battle with all the services to get the things that I need from both the NHS, my Local Authority and Social Services. It seems frankly very odd that everything changes the day you turn 18. As if magically you no longer have your needs or require help.

The system for assessing personal budgets is an absolute mess and I still do not understand it (despite being a law student and reading the documents). They just seem to come and have a vague chat where you tell them absolutely everything about your personal life and they pluck some random number out of thing air and run with it. 

However, because your daughter has only recently become an adult in the eyes of the state, she should have been covered by parts of the Care Act 2014 which was meant to make the transition into adult services far smoother. 

I just find everything stops when you become an adult and is even worse if you get a job - you have to pay for adaptations that you would get free as a child, you have to make contributions to your care costs if your savings go over a certain level (a nightmare if you want to save up for a mortgage down south), you slowly slip down the priority list for things and perhaps worst of all you wind up in a system built for old folk that doesn't seem to realise that young disabled adults have very different needs to older folk.

Anyway that's my rant, if you need any help or advice you can either ask me or there are plenty of people on this community who will be more than happy to help you!

Thanks,
    George
  • Sholay09
    Sholay09 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
    Options
    I have had the same issue as well like finding transition very difficult as unfortunately I am that type of person that does not really like change especially when they are quite very negative and also when things are not really the same anymore as they used to when they should be like not having to pay for certain things in which I believe there are some that still should be free like food, drink and also others that are essential to life. Also I believe that out there like support and other things that should still be free and available for adults too as it is bad or wrong that unfortunately we have to pay for everything.
    S.York
  • janej
    janej Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Have you got an EHCP? If your child is still in education the EHCP is ages 0-25...

You can be misled about this and If your child is 19 it is vital this is sorted urgently now as the law changes very shortly, I can't remember but think Feb but Sossen can advise... 

Brightness