i am finding life increasingly lonely as a carer - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

i am finding life increasingly lonely as a carer

2»

Comments

• kittycat
    kittycat Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Ah,...kindred spirits! ;-)
    How about shipwrecked? Very appropriate in my case, as I usually am wrecked!!!!!
    I’m 46 and live in Dorset. 
    Feel like I need a holiday (ALONE) in the sun to recharge my batteries. X
  • annajj
    annajj Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Well am 44 year old mum.A hoilday in sun for one sounds like heaven to me. Am from Southampton area.
  • annajj
    Well have think of names for this boat then .Well am going on 45 this year .Well we are all in our forties so far so good ashame wasn't closer for cup tea. I think we get on well as we can all relate which is nice.  But not always easy to find.
  • kittycat
    kittycat Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Well, I am 47 in April! :-0
    Funny thing is annajj I live on the edge of the New Forest!!!
    I was only at Costco last week in Southampton.
    Think this ship of ours needs to pick us all up and take us somewhere sunny! X
  • Ktmexc250
    Ktmexc250 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Carribean looks rather nice. There's room for everyone.
  • Zeezee
    Zeezee Community member Posts: 78 Pioneering
    Hi could I stowaway on this boat as it sounds perfect for me and joining a boat full of mums who are closer to my age (44) would be great. Also being around people who don't say "aahh but your lucky your daughter is so beautiful and smart, it could be a lot worse" when I am complaining about getting no sleep, constantly attending appointments or whatever service I am currently fighting for equipment. People just don't get it/me. And because I am constantly exhausted I look about 90years old and am sick of young mums at those playgroup's asking if I am her nana and then once they realise she is unable to sit or stand unaided they avoid us like their children will catch Cerebral Palsy off my daughter, so we end up isolated playing together with my daughter looking longingly at the other kids all playing together wanting to join in. It breaks my heart so much that I don't take her anymore. Well I have had my moan now so I am going to try to sneak into bed now without waking my little princess. Hope to sail away somewhere nice with you all soon xx
  • annajj
    Hello zeezee sure your welcome on this boat. The more the merrier. 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Does anyone else find this thread scary? All these women alone in a boat enjoying themselves? No one at the helm. Gosh! They could end up anywhere. Sounds like time to board the lifeboats for us poor old guys.... before we get hung, drawn and quartered for asking questions, lol!

Seriously though I do wish there was some sort of real network for helping with the problem of loneliness which seems to be approaching epidemic proportions. Somehow I don't think appointing a 'Minister for loneliness' is going to be very effective. Even if they do come up with some real ideas (unlikely), they will probably be either too expensive or will take too long to implement and hence cancelled by the next government.

Now ladies. I meant no disrespect and am quite ready to grovel and scamper away should anyone take offense.  :)

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Ktmexc250
    Ktmexc250 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    No offense taken topkitten..now, go and scrub the decks!!
    Being lonely is pants! I know just what you mean about the 'nana' thing. I was 43 when i had my son. Most of the other mums are young enough to be my kids and we have nothing in common. I get sick of the pitying looks when i tell people he has downs syndrome..and hearing things like 'oh they are such happy people and very loving'..
    Say that when he's having a melt down when i try to get his haircut or brush his teeth or at 3am when he decides that's a great time to start the day!
    Any one is welcome on the boat..even blokes..as long as you make a decent cuppa.
  • Roland
    Roland Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    Have any of you tried approaching Carers UK? ://www.carersuk.org/

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Approaching Carers UK in a boat. Surely it would beach before arriving, lol!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • annajj
    Hi Roland what carers UK?
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @annajj, here is a link to the Carers UK website for you. :)
  • annajj

Brightness