My son's speech is delayed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son's speech is delayed

ngjd131
ngjd131 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments
I need help for my son,  any advice would be greatly appreciated. 
My son is 4, 5 In August. 
His speech is delayed he has had 3 blocks of speech therapy and loads of interventions at school, health visitor, community therapist. His speech does not seem to be getting any clearer. I have looked into private speech therapy and I can not afford it. 
The children in school are being mean to him, his brother who is two is speaking a lot clearer than him and he can’t talk to people as they don’t understand him. He is very quiet and the educational phycologist thinks he suffers with an anxiety disorder / selective mutism. 
My bubbly little boy has turned into a frustrated, derepressed little boy with no confidence. I don’t know where to turn or what to do. I do speech therapy everyday with him in the house also.

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hello @ngjd131, welcome to the community.

I'm so sorry to hear how hard things have been for your son and yourself, we are here to support you both.

I have moved this post so that you can get some advice from our speech and language advisor and from any members that might have similar experiences.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions!
  • NicolaLatheySLT
    NicolaLatheySLT Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Dear @ngjd131,

I am sorry to hear that you are worried about your little boy.

A few things spring to my mind:

Have you asked his SLT whether he is receiving the highest level of SLT that he is entitled to?  If he is and it still seems that it isn't enough, have you looked at whether there is a special resources base for children with speech and language delay?

It sounds like the school are on board.  Have you checked whether school and home are working on exactly the same things to ensure you are having the biggest impact?

Have you found a sport or a hobby that your son is good at so that you can focus on something positive together?

Very best wishes,

Nicola
    Nicola Lathey
    Speech And Language Advisor
    Phone: 01242 571883
    Email: nicola@theowltherapycentre.co.uk
    theowltherapycentre.co.uk

Brightness